This policy provides guidance for employee use of social media, which should be broadly understood for purposes of this policy to include blogs, wikis, micro blogs, message boards, chat rooms, electronic newsletters, online forums, social networking sites, and other sites and services that permit users to share information with others in a contemporaneous manner.
The following principles apply to use of social media on behalf of the City of Rapid City.
- Employees should exercise professional judgment and conduct themselves in a manner consistent with all City (City of Rapid City) policies.
- Employees should be aware of the effect their actions may have on their images, as well as the City’s image. The information that employees post or publish constitutes a public record.
- Employees should use their best judgment in posting material that is neither inappropriate nor harmful to the City or its employees.
- Although not an inclusive list, some specific examples of prohibited social media conduct include posting commentary, content, or images that are defamatory, pornographic, proprietary, harassing, libelous, or that can create a hostile work environment.
- If employees encounter a situation while using social media that threaten to become antagonistic, employees should disengage from the dialog in a polite manner and seek the advice of a supervisor.
- Social media networks, blogs and other types of online content sometimes generate press and media attention or legal questions. Employees should refer these inquiries to authorized City spokesperson. If you have questions about what to post, please contact the City Communications Coordinator (605)721-6686.
Only authorized employees with valid business purposes are allowed to create, use, and maintain City social media sites. Employees must have management approval to engage in social media on behalf of the City, including making any representations about the City’s products, services, decisions or other business activities. The following text is to be placed on all Company affiliated social media web sites:
“The purpose of this site is to present matters of public interest in Rapid City, including its many residents, businesses and visitors. We encourage you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns, but please note this is a moderated online discussion and not a public forum.
Once posted, the City of Rapid City reserves the right to delete unacceptable comments. The following are some examples of unacceptable comments. This list is for illustrative purposes only and is not an exclusive list:
- Obscene language or content
- Offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, or religious group
- Comments advocating illegal activity
- Solicitations of commerce
- Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks
- Confidential or nonpublic information
Please note that the comments expressed on this site do not reflect the opinions and position of the City of Rapid City government or its administration and employees. If you have any questions concerning the operation of this online moderated discussion site, please contact the Communications Coordinator at (605) 721-6686.”