CITY SETS RECORD
FOR BUILDING PERMIT VALUATION
**Four consecutive years of $300 million
in annual permit valuation
RAPID CITY, SD--The City has set a record for building permit valuation in a single year.
Building permit valuation for 2019 was just shy of $330 million at $329,949,084, the fourth consecutive year building permit valuation surpassed $300 million. The 2019 mark topped the 2016 record of $320,054,359.
For the year, the City's Building Services Division issued 3,968 permits, the highest number of permits issued since 2014. In December, the City issued 246 permits with a total valuation for the month of $15,047,268. The 246 permits issued was the highest December total since December 2013 (250).
Two-thirds of the $330 million in permit valuation were generated from 30 permits with a valuation of $1 million or more (total of $209,104,285) (see attached item).
Top permits issued for December include Craft Properties LLC for Boulder Creek, a 32-unit apartment complex at 1330 E. Minnesota Street ($3.7 million); MWM Rapid Holdings LLC for Midwestern Office and Warehouse at 3536 Eglin ($3,060,000); Mark Hennies for a single family dwelling at 5612 Bethpage Drive ($503,891); Stecor Initiatives LLC for a single family dwelling at 5527 Bethpage Drive ($427,120); and Wood Builders Inc. for single family dwelling at 619 Haakon Street ($305,477).
"This has been an excellent decade for building in Rapid City," said Community Development Director Ken Young. "Whether in terms of building new, expansions or remodeling, we've seen consistent activity across the board in recent years - from the commercial side to the homeowner. And we remain hopeful the building and growth trends will remain steady moving forward."
The top 15 permits issued by the City in 2019:
1) City of Rapid City (M.A. Mortenson Co.) for the new Civic Center Arena ($111,500,000)
2) Hay Land LLC for the Fleet Farm Retail Store, 1001 E. Mall Drive ($20,380,124)
3) Rapid City Economic Development for Ascent Innovation's new facility, 18 E. Main Street ($9.235,000)
4) Rapid City Regional Hospital for third and fourth floor alterations, 353 Fairmont Boulevard ($7,500,000)
5) Discovery Circle LLC for the Common Cents facility, 1821 N. Elk Vale Road ($5,465,685)
6) Pennington County for the County Jail Expansion and Remodeling Project ($5,282,300)
7) Whisper Rock II Limited Partners for apartment complexes, 424 Neel Street ($4,965,188)
8) Craft Properties LLC for Boulder Creek apartment complex, 1330 E. Minnesota Street ($3,700,000)
9) MWM Rapid Holdings LLC for Midwestern Office and Warehouse, 3536 Eglin, $3,060,000)
10) Holiday Stationstores Inc. for Holiday Store, 1610 Caregiver Circle ($3,050,350)
11) City of Rapid City for vertical circulation alterations at Rapid City Regional Airport ($2,944,300)
12) Holiday Stationstores Inc. for Holiday Store, 3216 E. Highway 44 ($2,844,255)
13) Black Hills Surgery Center for interior build-out alterations, 216 Anamaria Drive ($2,736,512)
14) Community Enhancement V LLC for the Signify Call Center, 3330 Jaffa Golden Way ($2,520,000)
15) Hay Land LLC for the Fleet Farm Convenience Store, 1115 E. Mall Drive ($2,500,000)
In 2007, the City surpassed $200 million in annual permit valuation for the first time in its history. From 2011-2015, the City topped $200 million in annual permit valuation and has topped $300 million in permit valuation since 2016.
CITY ISSUED LARGE NUMBER
OF RESIDENTIAL ROOFING PERMITS IN 2019
Number issued is a 5-year high
RAPID CITY, SD--Another sign of the impact of weather on the community in 2019 can be found in the number of residential roofing permits issued by the City. In 2019, the City issued 1,249 residential roofing permits, a five-year high.
The 1,249 residential roofing permits were higher than the 1,156 issued in 2018 and was the highest number of roofing permits issued in a year since 2014 when 2,418 residential roofing permits were issued by the City's Building Services Division.
According to official reports, 2019 was the wettest year on record for the area.
Darrell W. Shoemaker | Communications Coordinator
T: 605.721.6686 | M: 605.939.8551