Following a string of armed business robberies in the early morning hours of June 2nd, deputies of the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office located two suspects in the robberies. They are identified as 29-year-old Robert Donovan, and 24-year-old Preston Schuster. They are both of Rapid City.
The string of robberies started around 1:40 a.m. on June 2nd when Rapid City police were dispatched to 3343 Haines Avenue after an armed suspect entered the business, approached the clerk, and demanded entry into the store’s safe. After being informed the clerk did not have access to the safe, the suspect then demanded the clerk to open the cash register. The suspect took several items and an undisclosed amount of cash before leaving the store.
Then at around 2:10 a.m., law enforcement was called to 640 Box Elder Road in Box Elder for a report of another armed robbery. The suspect brandished a handgun, and made off with several sodas after he was unable to get cash from the register.
At around 2:20 a.m., law enforcement responded to 679 Reagan Avenue in Box Elder for a third report of an armed robbery. The suspect entered the business, threatened the clerk with a handgun, and fled the store with an undisclosed amount of cash. A witness at the business was able to provide law enforcement with a description of the suspect vehicle.
At around 3:25 a.m., the suspect vehicle was located by a Pennington County Sheriff’s deputy. Cash, and a number of stolen items were recovered from the vehicle. Donovan and Schuster were detained and brought to the Public Safety Building for Questioning.
On further investigation, it was determined Donovan had been responsible for the three early morning armed robberies on June 2nd, along with two other recent armed robberies and two recent business burglaries. They are:
- The May 29th robbery of 3343 Haines Avenue
- The May 30th robbery of 4030 Cheyenne Boulevard
- The May 30th burglaries of 36 E. Stumer Road Suite 120 and Suite 123
Investigators determined that the firearm used in the robberies had been tossed out of the vehicle along Interstate-90. It was recovered later in the day by the Rapid City Police Department’s K9 Unit.
Donovan has been arrested on five counts of First Degree Robbery, three counts of Conspiracy to Commit a Felony, two counts of Third Degree Burglary, and one count of Petty Theft.
Police have identified Schuster as the driver in the June 2nd String of Robberies. He has been arrested for three counts of Aiding and Abetting First Degree Robbery, three counts of Conspiracy to Commit a Felony, and a Warrant.
In the last 10 years, local law enforcement agencies have had numerous criminal contacts with both Donovan and Schuster. The most notable of those recent contacts involve Schuster:
- In April of 2015, Schuster was arrested by the RCPD for Possession of a Controlled Substance, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, and Possession of Marijuana
- In October of 2015, Schuster was arrested by the RCPD for Shoplifting
- In November of 2015, Schuster was arrested by the RCPD for Possession of a Forged Instrument with Intent to Defraud and Impersonation to Deceive Law Enforcement
- Twice in March of 2016, Schuster tested positive for the ingestion of methamphetamine at 24/7
- In April of 2016, Schuster tested positive for the ingestion of methamphetamine at 24/7 before fleeing the facility.
This ongoing investigation into the June 2nd armed robberies has been conducted through the joint cooperation of the Rapid City Police Department, the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office, and the Box Elder Police Department.