On Thursday, August 17, the Rapid City Police Department conducted compliance checks of local alcohol establishments. A total of 18 establishments were checked and 15 were found to be in compliance.
Three of the establishments, Safeway Store, located at 2120 Mt Rushmore Rd, Main Street Square, located at 512 Main St, and Rushmore Sinclair, located at 2420 Mt Rushmore Rd, sold alcohol to underage police informants. The sellers, Lois Ward (61 years old), an employee of Safeway Store, Shannon Mojica (25 years old), an employee of Main Street Square, and Jeffrey Furiga (49 years old), an employee of Rushmore Sinclair, were issued court appearance required citations.
Furnishing alcohol to a minor is a class 2 misdemeanor punishable by 30 days in jail, a $500 fine, or both.
The following establishments were found to be in compliance:
- Lacosta Mexican Restaurant 603 Omaha St.
- Summer Nights Downtown/7th St.
- Oasis Lounge 711 Main St.
- Brass Rail 624 St Joseph St.
- Independent Ale House 625 St Joseph St.
- Tinder Box 520 7th St.
- Bob’s Amoco 721 Mt Rushmore Rd.
- Jokers Casino 1320 Mt Rushmore Rd.
- Boyd’s Liquor Mart 1424 Mt Rushmore Rd.
- Rushmore Casino 1808 Mt Rushmore Rd.
- Corner Pantry 1818 Mt Rushmore Rd.
- Joe’s Place 4302 S Highway 79
- Pauly’s Pizzeria & Sub Co. 1624 E St Patrick St.
- Holiday Superstores 35 Omaha St.
- Big D Oil 49 Omaha St.
The Rapid City Police Department is committed to excellence in public safety. Protecting the youth in the community is a priority and the Department will continue to conduct alcohol compliance checks in an effort to reduce underage consumption of alcohol.
Since January 1, 2017, ten establishments have failed the alcohol compliance checks by selling to underage informants.