Licenses, Permits, Parking & Land Use Applications

How to Apply for Licenses, Permits, Parking Permits and Land Use Applications:

Building Services
If you are seeking a Contractor’s License, Building Permit, Building Plans Review, Building Inspections or Air Quality Permit, please contact Building Services at 605-394-4120.

Finance Office
If you are seeking a Rapid City business license for any of the following business types, contact the Finance Office at 605-394-4143: Adult Oriented Business, Central Station Service, Ice Cream Vendor, Pawn / Precious Metals and Gems / Second Hand, Refuse Hauling, Security, Sidewalk Vending, Taxi, Transportation Network, or Alcohol Related Business/Event.
***If you DO NOT have one of these businesses, the Finance Office does not require you to have a business license through their office. Please contact the Department of Revenue at 605-394-2332 if you need help getting a business license other than what is listed under Finance.***

Parking Permits

If you are seeking a downtown Parking Permit, please create an account on and apply online. Permits can be purchased for available on-street 2-hour parking zones and available off-street parking lots in the downtown area. All permits must be purchased through the Permit Portal website. If you need assistance or have questions regarding downtown Parking Permits, please contact the Parking Hotline at 605-394-6098.

If you have questions regarding future land use planning, annexation planning / implementation, and transportation planning, OR if you need help regarding development applications such as: rezone requests, within the city, and all subdivision applications within the city and within the city’s extraterritorial jurisdiction, please contact the Planning Division at 605-394-4120.

More in this category: a Job at the City »

Login Form