The City of Rapid City offers recycling and yard waste collection (seasonal) at three remote site locations: West Blvd North off anamosa, Fitzgerald Stadium Parking Lot and the entrance to the landtill located on South 79.
Recyclables - Blue Roll off containers: The following list is not all inclusive. For recycling questions please visit our My Waste App on your phone or on the home page of the Solid Waste Website.
Aluminum: beverage cans, food cans, aluminum bottles, hairspray cans, shave cream cans, spray starch cans.
Steel: vegetable cans, soup cans, food cans, coffee cans, empty paint cans, empty aerosol cans.
Plastic: milk jugs, detergent jugs, soda bottles, water bottles, hair care bottles, food containers, empty paint containers, drained oil containers, items with a recycle triangle on the bottom. Please triple rinse pesticide or other empty toxic substance containers.
Glass: beverage bottles, jars. Please remove lid.
Cardboard - Brown roll off containers
- Corrugated cardboard boxes - moving boxes and shipping boxes. Please flatten.
- No shiny or waxy surface paperboard, cereal, beverage boxes & pizza boxes.
Newspaper - White roll off containers
- Newsprint including insert flyers and packing paper.
All containers are marked
Yard Waste - Green roll off containers
- Grass clippings, tree branches: must be under 6' long & 4" in diameter, Organic yard materials only. Use only biodegradable paper yard waste bags. NO plastic bags, lunber or pallets.
- Christmas Trees: Seasonal
Residents, please bring your small yard waste loads to the transfer stations. You may dispose of yard waste bags in the large green containers or simply empty your bins, cans or plastic bags of yard waste in to the containers then take them back home for reuse.
Anyone is welcome to use the transfer stations if done so properly. Please respect the communities privileged of this service by following these guidelines.
- No plastic bags. Please reuse your plastic bags or take them home for disposal. There are not refuse containers at these sites, do not litter.
- No excessively large branches, logs or root balls. Please cut down branches that are too large for the containers. Logs and root balls may be brought to the landfill.
- No garbage. Please do not use this site for disposal of any items other than which are listed. No tires, pallets, lumber, furniture, etc.
- No commercial haulers. Residential size loads only, please. It is free to dispose of yard waste at the landfill, with the exception of large logs and root balls.
- No scavenging.
- Do not enter the containers.
In accordance with City ordinance §8.12.020 No person shall throw or deposit any litter in or upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or any private property except in public or private containers designed and intended for the collection of litter. Persons placing litter in such containers shall do so in such manner as to prevent its being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or private property.
Persons found in violation may be subject citation as defined by City ordinance §8.12.100. Violation of any provision of this chapter may be punishable by not more than 30 days in jail or a fine not more than $100, or both
These locations are open year round for recycling. Yard waste containers are put out during the months of April-November. All containers are emptied on a daily basis. Trucks run 7 days a week. If a container is not at the site it is in route to and from being empty which can take as long as one hour. During peak seasons of spring and fall we ask for your patience as the cites fill up quicker than we are able to clear them.