Curbside Blue Bin Recycling: This is not an extensive list. Items not listed please reference our My Waste App on your cell phone or the home page of the Solid Waste Website.
The following items can be place in the blue bin. For additional recycling and disposal questions please see “My Waste” , located on Solid Waste main page. For smart phone users, please download the "My Waste" free app to allow for in app notifications and information.
Aluminum: beverage cans, food cans, aluminum bottles, hairspray cans, shave cream cans, spray starch cans.
Steel: vegetable cans, soup cans, food cans, coffee cans, empty paint cans, empty aerosol cans.
Plastic: milk jugs, detergent jugs, soda bottles, water bottles, hair care bottles, food containers, empty paint containers, drained oil containers, items with a recycle triangle on the bottom. Please triple rinse pesticide or other empty toxic substance containers.
Glass: beverage bottles, jars. Please Remove Lid.
Rapid City Sharps Disposal Program
Users of needles, syringes, lancets, auto injectors, infusion sets and other types of sharps are requested to use the following disposal procedures.
- Rapid City Solid Waste requires individuals to disinfect used sharps by placing a mixture of 1/8 cup bleach and 1 1/4 cup of water, (1:10 ratio) in a puncture-resistant container with a twist lid, such as a laundry detergent container.
- Label the container “Sharps” to protect others.
- Place used sharps into the container.
- When container is approximately 3/4 full, do not over-stuff this can increase pressure on the lid and cause a release of the medical sharps, swish bleach solution around to disinfect needles.
- Empty the bleach solution down the drain.
- Place the lid onto the container in the sealed position then tape closed.
- Bring your full sealed container to one of the locations listed below for proper disposal.
- Please DO NOT place sharps in household garbage.
Sharps Disposal Locations Rapid City
- Public Safety Building Lobby: 300 Kansas City St
- City School Administration Building CSAC: 6th St
- Landfill Education Center: South Highway 79