Sidewalk installation in adjacent streets is required prior to the issuance of a certificate of occupancy for a structure on the lot, as required by Section 12.08.060 of the Rapid City Municipal Code. Section 12.08.060.C of the Rapid City Municipal Code allows for a person to apply for a variance from the requirement to construct sidewalk from the City Council.
Procedure for requesting a sidewalk variance:
1. Prepare a written request addressed to the City Council for a variance from the requirements to install sidewalks. The written request shall include the following information:
- Name of person requesting sidewalk variance, affiliation to project (property owner, builder, etc.), phone number, and email address.
- Type of permit that requires the installation of sidewalk (single family residential building permit, commercial building permit, commercial building expansion, etc.), and the building permit number associated with the request if one has been issued.
- Adjacent streets that require sidewalk installation.
- Justification for not wanting to construction the sidewalk (topographic constraints, proximity to other existing sidewalks, type of street, right-of-way constraints, etc.).
- Distance to and location of the nearest existing sidewalks.
- Include the following statement “The variance request is submitted as allowed for by Section 12.08.060.C of the Rapid City Municipal Code.”
3. The request will be put on the next Public Works Committee Meeting Agenda for consideration. The Public Works Committee will make a recommendation to the City Council for approval or denial of the request. The City Council will consider the request at the next City Council meeting. A Staff member will contact the applicant to inform them of the dates of the meetings in which the request will be considered. A representative of the request is encouraged to attend the meetings in order to speak towards the request, and address any questions. The City Council will make the final determination about the request.
4. There is no fee associated with this request