Community First, Service Above Self, Integrity-Driven. One Interaction at a Time.
Vision Statement: Striving for a safe and crime-free Rapid City.
Provides law enforcement patrol and investigative services.
Personnel - Full-Time Employees (FTEs):
2022 - $19,638,905
City of Rapid City
What We Do:
Respond to Calls
- Responded to more than 114,816 calls for service in 2021.
- Utilize sector policing to build better community relationships.
- The RCPD offers an online service for reporting certain non-emrgency crimes online. If you wish to report an emergency, please dial 911. If you wish to report incidents such as Property Damage, Lost Property, and Thefts, you may do so online by clicking this link.
Community Crime Map
- View Map (Enter the date range you wish to view, select the types of incidents you would like to see on the map, and click on any of the incidents to view basic crime information about each incident)
- Enforces applicable City ordinances and state statutes to control speed and improve driver safety.
Tip 411 Crime Tips
Fight crime with your fingertips using Tip411. Now you can send an anonymous crime tip to police, either by text message or using a secure online form. The service removes your identifying information, including phone number or IP address, to make your tip completely anonymous.
Text a tip:
- Text 'RCPD' and your tip to 847411.
- Police may respond to ask for more information. Simply text back 'stop' at any time to end the conversation.
Submit a tip online:
- 24-hour emergency response and investigation.
- Full-time staff of qualified detectives.
- 24-hour response to major investigations.
- Specializes in investigation of crimes against people and property.
- Polygraph examination.
Street Crimes Unit
- Specially formed to handle and prevent violent crime in specific areas of the City.
- Provides forensic analysis and evidence storage for Rapid City and Pennington County law enforcement.
- Crime scene investigation.
Special Response Team
- Emergency response to dangerous and unusual incidents.