The RCPD Citizens’ Police Academy is a 13-week program that exposes participants to a variety of police functions, for a better understanding of how law enforcement operates.
Participants will go behind the scenes to:
• Drive a police car through an obstacle course
• Shoot firearms in a range
• Follow the evidence to work a mock crime scene
• Tour the Public Safety Building, Pennington County Jail and Juvenile Services Center
• Meet the SRT (SWAT), K9 Unit, Chief Jegeris, and other RCPD officers
• And much more!
Who should apply?
The program is great for social workers, counselors, healthcare professionals, reporters, teachers, government employees, family members of law enforcement, and anyone interested in learning more about the Rapid City Police Department.
When: Classes of the Fall 2019 Citizens' Police Academy will take place Thursday evenings (from 6:00 to 9:00) starting in early September with a graduation date planned for early December.
Cost: There is no cost to participate, but class size is limited.
Requirements: Participants must live or work in the Rapid City area, be at least 21 years of age, have a valid driver's license, fill out an application, and submit to a background check.