Beginning in 2017, all special event requests will be handled by the Parks and Recreation Department. Applications must be complete and submitted 90 days prior to the date of the event in order to give staff adequate time to review the information provided. A certificate of Insurance showing the City of Rapid City as an additional insured will be required; Liability Waivers will not be accepted.
- pdf Special Event Handbook/Application (11.28 MB)
- pdf Route Map: Founders Park to Sioux Park (Approx. 5K) (1.37 MB)
- pdf Route Map: Storybook Island Shelter to Park Drive (Approx. 5K) (1.43 MB)
- pdf Route Map: Memorial Park to Roosevelt Park (Approx. 3K) (1.49 MB)
- pdf Parade Route Map (177 KB)
- pdf Sample Certificate of Insurance (587 KB)
- Sample Site Plan
- Crossing Guard Instructional Video
Due to the dramatic increase in the requests for runs and walks, Special Events will be limited to two per day. The city has developed three routes to be used for these activities and use of other areas is discouraged. This will ensure that each event has access to the desired location, will not interfere with other special events, and keep the park space available for public use.
A Special Event Review Committee consisting of City staff from impacted departments will meet as needed to review and approve applications and event plans. Organizers for large events will be required to meet with the Committee prior to approval of their application. The new process does provide an appeal process to the City Council for any applications that may be denied.