Rapid City utilizes an Aldermanic Form of Municipal Government and is governed by our Common Council. The Common Council consists of our Mayor and ten Council members, two members from each of our five wards. Members of the Council are elected to three-year terms. The mayor serves four-year terms.
We envision Rapid City to be a vibrant community where all citizens can prosper and enjoy our quality of life.
To serve Rapid City with integrity and excellence.
- A Balanced Pattern of Growth
- A Vibrant, Livable Community
- A Safe, Healthy, Inclusive, and Skilled Community
- Efficient Transportation and Infrastructure Systems
- Economic Stability and Growth
- Outstanding Recreational and Cultural Opportunities
- Responsive, Accessible, and Effective Governance
Council Meeting Schedule
Rapid City Council Meetings: The Rapid City Common Council meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month – Starting at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, at the City Hall Administration Center located at 300 6th Street.
The Public Works Committee meets Tuesday prior to Council - Starting at 12:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, City Hall.
The Legal Finance Committee meets Wednesday prior to Council - Starting at 12:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, City Hall.
Meeting dates may be adjusted for holidays.
Office of the Mayor and City Council
300 Sixth Street
Rapid City, SD 57701