The Disability Awareness and Accessibility Committee, formerly known as the Mayor's Committee for People with Disabilities, was created in 1975 by Mayor Don Barnett to advocate for and promote the equal inclusion of persons with disabilities in all aspects of community life.
The Committee is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, religious or scientific purposes within meaning of section 501 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code. Advisory Members may be appointed for the purpose of providing assistance and consultation to the committee in an effort to meet the goals as set forth in Committee Bylaws.
Advance, support and promote the equal inclusion, status and well-being of persons with disabilities in all aspects of Rapid City community life.
The Disability Awareness and Accessibility Committee will work to support and represent the City of Rapid City Mayor, City Council, and all citizens through ethical volunteer efforts of value, enrichment and advocacy within the purposes and intent of our mission and vision.
- Increase awareness among the city, local businesses and members of the community of the contributions, potentials, and needs of individuals with disabilities and their families, including coordinating local activities on behalf of people with disabilities and their families
- Identify issues of importance to the disability community and provide information to the Mayor, City Council, and the Council liaison, pertinent to those issues, including guidance on priorities and modifications of accessibility
- Facilitate resolution of issues related to access to public facilities and services, or concerning barriers to persons with disability
- Serve as an advisory resource for the ADA Coordinator
- Develop relationships with other organizations serving individuals with disabilities
- Serve as an on-line resource for people with disabilities
Patrick Czerny - Term Expires - December 2021
Catherine Greseth - Term Expires - December 2021
Sammi Jo Kenzy - Term Expires - December 2021
Heather Hoeye - Term Expires - December 2021
Ara Baumstarck - Term Expires - December 2021
Dr. Steve Massopust - Term Expires - December 2022
Katie Peterson - Term Expires - December 2022
Melanie Barclay - Term Expires - December 2022
Thore Jenshus - Term Expires - December 2022
Tamie Hopp - Term Expires - December 2022
SD Parent Connections
South Dakota Coalition of Citizens with Disabilities Your Vote Matters Survey
South Dakota Department of Human Services
Western Resources for Independent Living
Workforce Diversity Network of the Black Hills
ABOVE AND BEYOND AWARD PROGRAM
VISION: Encourage, advise and acknowledge efforts and achievements of individuals, organizations and employers whom contribute significantly to this community mission.
pdf Nomination Form (599 KB)