Book a Librarian
We are always happy to answer your questions. For some topics, we recommend reserving one-on-one assistance from a librarian. Use the Book a Librarian service for help learning about library resources, computer and software basics, downloading library material, or using the library for research.
The library supports book clubs by providing Book Club Bags. This service includes a bag with eight copies of one title and a discussion guide to help your book group have an enjoyable reading experience.
While we do not currently offer computer classes, you may Book a Librarian for a one-on-one session to learn how to use computers, word processing software, email, and social media. We also offer access to Universal Class for self-paced online lessons.
Donating to the Library
We gladly accept donations of books and media materials. Please bring your items for donation to the Downtown Library at 610 Quincy Street. For large donations, please call (605) 394-6139 prior to donating.
To donate money, please visit the Rapid City Library Foundation page.
Monetary contributions can also be mailed to:
Rapid City Library Foundation
PO Box 1015
Rapid City, SD 57709
Home Delivery Service
Our Home Delivery Service allows eligible patrons to have materials selected and delivered by volunteers on a monthly basis. The service is available to those who have a physical barrier to library services including temporary or permanent disability, injury or illness. Delivery is limited to residents who live withing the Rapid City Area Schools district inside Pennington County. There is no cost for this service.
Materials that may be delivered include books, books on CD, magazines, DVDs and e-readers. These materials check out for 6 weeks and may be renewed one time. There are never overdue fines; however, fees for lost or damaged materials will be assessed as necessary.
RCPL Home Delivery Service
610 Quincy Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
The library offers three rooms for groups who need a comfortable space to meet. Room details and reservations can be found on the Reserve a Space page.
The Rapid City Public Library owns microfilm for local newspapers dating from 1883 forward and includes the following: Rapid City Journal, Indian Country Today, Lakota Times, Gate City Guide, Lakota Nation Journal, and the Black Hills Weekly Journal. If you need other resources, please follow these steps.
- Fill out the Purchase Suggestion form or contact the Rapid City Public Library reference desk at (605) 394-6139 extension 7501. You will need your library card number.
- Microfilm coming from the South Dakota Historical Society must be paid for at Rapid City Public Library before a request is processed. Cost is $8.00 per reel and payment must be in the form of a check to: South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Orders for film from the South Dakota Historical Society require reel numbers. These may be found at the South Dakota Historical Society website. A reference staff member can also assist you with finding the reel numbers by calling (605) 394-6139 extension 7501.
- Microfilm coming from out of state must be prepaid in the form of a check made out to the lending institution. The interlibrary loan staff will contact you and let you know the cost of the film as well as the name of the lending library. If you do not wish to pay the fee, the request can be canceled at that time. You may request that a staff member assist you with locating the fees at the time of a library visit in order to eliminate the need for a second trip to the library.
- All microfilm may only be used within the library.
- The Downtown Library's microfilm machine must be reserved prior to use. To book a session, click here and select up to two hours of available time.
- By App - For use on IOS or Android devices. Search for the PrinterOn app in the App Store or Google Play store. Install the app, add the RCPL Downtown Printer, and upload your document.
- By Website – Go to the PrinterOn website enter your email address and upload a document or URL from your computer
Print jobs will stay in the queue for 24 hours.
Printing costs $0.15 per 8.5”x11” page and can be picked up at the library's Drive-thru on 610 Quincy St.
Stop by the business office to have a document notarized.
We offer a test proctoring service at our Downtown library during library hours. Proctoring costs $20 per test for non-card holders. If you have a Rapid City Public Library card, the fee is waived. Please view our Proctoring information page for more information.
If you are looking for an item and the library does not own it, use the Purchase Suggestion form to let us know. We will try to buy a copy or borrow it through Interlibrary Loan from another library. You may request digital material directly through Overdrive by clicking the "Recommend" link below an item we don't already own. For Overdrive instructions, visit their help page.
Groups of up to four people may reserve a study room for up to two hours per day. Study rooms are only available during library hours. Reservation information is located on the Reserve a Space page.
Need more help?