Thank you for your interest in the Rapid City Fire Department.
In 2019 we were called to more than 18,000 incidents, over 70% of which were medical in nature. As this number continues to grow, so too does the need for public education and community involvement. Our Fire Department has the following values: Reliability, Service, Professionalism, Pride, Integrity, and Loyalty - please be thinking about what those values mean to you for your interview.
As the largest fire department in our area, we have the unique opportunity to participate as 'All Risk.' This includes fire protection for our citizens, National Wildland fire, Heavy and Light rescue, Water Rescue, Hazardous Materials (HazMat), and Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF) at our airport.
Our employees are committed to delivering the highest level of community service and believe that creating a safe community adds to the overall quality of life for our citizens and visitors. The Fire Department focuses on preparing and preventing hazards to the citizens through community risk reduction, public information, and code enforcement programs as well as internal development and continuing education.
The Rapid City Fire Department is currently seeking applicants for the position of Fire Department Public Information Officer (PIO).
The Fire Public Information Officer (PIO) develops, coordinates, and directs public relations activities for the Rapid City Fire Department across multiple platforms in person or by approved designee.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the Rapid City Fire Department to the media and public by acting as chief spokesperson including incident information officer, subject to 24-hour call out.
- Field and direct responses to all media-related inquiries, and coordinate news conferences when appropriate.
- Plan and implement department's public relations strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Research, write, and design internal and external communication such as press releases and annual reports for the public and/or agency.
- Develop and maintain positive and successful contacts and relationships with media representatives to create opportunities for keeping the agency and its services in the public.
- Maintain database of public relations contacts.
- Advise on the preparation and presentation of service information at trade shows, displays, and exhibits.
- Develop ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of the Rapid City Fire Department and its services.
- Assist and coach staff with public speaking engagements, presentations, and preparation of articles for publication.
- Coordinate marketing efforts for department recruitment, community relations, and public education campaigns.
- Advise management on community relations projects and activities.
- Manage and create content for the agency’s social networking sites and department website.
- Establish and maintain a crisis communication plan for the agency.
- Lead event planning for department-sponsored events.
- Create, lead, or participate in collaborative partnerships and coalitions of professionals involved in public information.
- Assist and provide consulting for external agencies on public information and crisis communications strategies.
- Maintain confidentiality when involved with sensitive information requiring considerable use of tact, discretion, and judgment.
- Assist management with other projects as assigned.
Manages the department’s ride-a-long program, directly overseeing the requests and approval. May carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, including while on incidents. Responsibilities may include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The ideal candidate will have superior communication skills, both written and verbal, and should be very media savvy and detail-oriented. We understand that your time is valuable and encourage you to apply if you possess the following minimun qualifications:
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree a from four-year college or university in marketing, journalism, public relations, mass communications, or related field
- Two (2) years of experience in marketing or journalism.
Computer and Administrative Skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient with Microsoft Office© products, Adobe© and/or equivalent publishing software. Some graphic design knowledge preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Must possess a valid driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days from date of hire.
To apply, please click here.
The application period for this position closes on September 25, 2020 at 11:59 pm Mountain Time.