Transportation planning in this area includes the involvement of the City of Rapid City, the City of Box Elder, the City of Summerset, the City of Piedmont, Pennington County, Meade County, the Rapid City Area School District #51-4, the Meade County School District, Ellsworth Air Force Base, the South Dakota Department of Transportation (SDDOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Association (FTA). This process results in the development of products and plans that assist in the overall development of the transportation planning process.
The MPO prepares a Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) each year that identifies the transportation planning work tasks and the anticipated product or outcome from those tasks. The UPWP also identifies the funding, staffing and proposed project schedule.
The MPO also prepares an annual Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) used to identify the funding mechanism for transportation projects using federal dollars within the Rapid City Area MPO. The local jurisdictions working through the Rapid City Area MPO's Executive Policy Committee (EPC) determine how the area's transportation system is developed and expanded.
The Long Range Planning Division provides staff support to the MPO as well as three advisory committees that support MPO activities, including the Citizens Advisory Committee, the Technical Coordinating Committee and the Executive Policy Committee.
- pdf 2019-2022 Transportation Improvement Program - Final Report (4.56 MB)
- pdf 2019-2022 Transportation Improvement Program Map (763 KB)
- pdf Rapid City Year End 2017 Population Estimate (370 KB)
- pdf 2015 2017 Socio economic Report (827 KB)
- pdf 2017 Traffic Count Book (374 KB)
- pdf 2018 Unified Planning Work Program - Final (622 KB)
- pdf 2018-2021 Transportation Improvement Program - Final (7.06 MB)
- pdf Participation Plan Update - Final (953 KB)
- pdf Operations Plan - Final (1.34 MB)
- pdf 2017 Unified Planning Work Program - Final (1.82 MB)
- pdf 2017-2020 Transportation Improvement Program - Final (4.47 MB)
- pdf 2014-2016 Socio-economic Report (189 KB)
- pdf 2016 Traffic Volume Counts Report (714 KB)
- pdf Rapid City 2016 Year End Population Estimate (53 KB)
- pdf 2016 Annual listing of Obligated Projects (68 KB)
- pdf 2016 Annual Report (187 KB)
- pdf Exit 61 to 67 Corridor Study - Draft (16.81 MB)
- pdf Executive Summary (1.54 MB) pdf (16.81 MB)
- pdf Transit Feasibility Study - Draft (5.43 MB)
- pdf 2013-2017 Coordinated Public Transit-Human Services Transportation Plan (8.14 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2035 - Long Range Transportation Plan (7.10 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2035 - Long Range Transportation Plan Map (3.33 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan (20.92 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2040 Appendices (34.32 MB)