In support of the CDC Social Distancing recommendations, access to our offices has been restricted to employees only. Please contact us via phone or email so that we can continue to provide you with necessary services.
Director: Ken Young
Division Manager: Patsy Horton
300 Sixth Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
Fax : 605-394-6636
Transportation planning in this area includes the involvement of the City of Rapid City, the City of Box Elder, the City of Summerset, the City of Piedmont, Pennington County, Meade County, the Rapid City Area School District #51-4, the Meade County School District, Ellsworth Air Force Base, the South Dakota Department of Transportation (SDDOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Association (FTA). This process results in the development of products and plans that assist in the overall development of the transportation planning process.
The MPO prepares a Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) each year that identifies the transportation planning work tasks and the anticipated product or outcome from those tasks. The UPWP also identifies the funding, staffing and proposed project schedule.
The MPO also prepares an annual Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) used to identify the funding mechanism for transportation projects using federal dollars within the Rapid City Area MPO. The local jurisdictions working through the Rapid City Area MPO's Executive Policy Committee (EPC) determine how the area's transportation system is developed and expanded.
The Long Range Planning Division provides staff support to the MPO as well as three advisory committees that support MPO activities, including the Citizens Advisory Committee, the Technical Coordinating Committee and the Executive Policy Committee.
- pdf 2020 Unified Planning Work Program Final Report (694 KB)
- pdf 2020-2023 Transportation Improvement Program Final Report (4.82 MB)
- pdf East Rapid City Traffic and Corridor Analysis Study Final Report (5.82 MB)
- pdf Coordinated Public Transit Human Services Transportation Plan Final Report (2.25 MB)
- pdf 2016 - 2018 Socio economic Report (758 KB)
- pdf 2018 Traffic Volume Counts Report (530 KB)
- pdf Rapid City Year End 2018 Population Estimate (324 KB)
- pdf 2018 Annual Report (491 KB)
- pdf 2019 Unified Planning Work Program Final (620 KB)
- pdf 2019-2022 Transportation Improvement Program - Final Report (4.56 MB)
- pdf 2019-2022 Transportation Improvement Program Map (763 KB)
- pdf Rapid City Year End 2017 Population Estimate (370 KB)
- pdf 2017 Traffic Count Book (374 KB)
- pdf 2018 Unified Planning Work Program - Final (622 KB)
- pdf 2018-2021 Transportation Improvement Program - Final (7.06 MB)
- pdf Participation Plan Update - Final (953 KB)
- pdf Operations Plan - Final (1.34 MB)
- pdf 2014-2016 Socio-economic Report (189 KB)
- pdf The Rapid City Area MPO Transit Feasibility Study Final Report (4.85 MB)
- pdf Executive Summary (1.54 MB) pdf (16.81 MB)
- pdf 18TP006 - I 90 Exit 61 to 67 Corridor Study Final Report (17.92 MB)
- pdf (5.43 MB) pdf (5.43 MB)
- pdf 2013-2017 Coordinated Public Transit-Human Services Transportation Plan (8.14 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2035 - Long Range Transportation Plan (7.10 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2035 - Long Range Transportation Plan Map (3.33 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan (20.92 MB)
- pdf RapidTRIP 2040 Appendices (34.32 MB)