AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Monday, November 16, 2020
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
SWEAR IN NEWLY ELECTED COUNCIL MEMBER
1. Oath of Office administered to Ward One Council Member Ron Weifenbach
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS (NONE)
2. Downtown Ambassadors Program Presentation – Dan Senftner and Mani Davilla
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT (3-minute time limit per speaker)
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 3 – 37
Open Public Comment – Items 3 – 28 (3-minute time limit per speaker)
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS – Items 3 – 28
Remove Items from the “Consent Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (December 21, 2020)
4. No. 20VR004 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying & Consulting Engineers, Inc for Rapid City Club for Boys for a Vacation of Right-of-Way for property generally described as being located at 320 North 4th Street.
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications and Renewals Set for Hearing (December 7, 2020)
5. Bar K-9 LLC for a SPECIAL EVENT On-Sale Malt Beverage License for an event scheduled for December 18-19, at the Rushmore Mall, 2200 N. Maple Ave Suite 2002
5A. Iron PHNX LLC DBA Iron Phnx, 3468 Sturgis Road, for a Retail (on-off sale) Malt Beverage & SD Farm Wine License and a Retail (on-off sale) Wine and Cider License
2021 Retail (on-off sale) Malt Beverage & SD Farm Wine Renewals
6. Moyle Petroleum Company DBA Common Cents Rushmore Rd, 2660 Mt Rushmore Rd, for a Retail (on-off sale) Wine and Cider license renewal
7. Black Sheep Group, LLC DBA Harriet Café, 329 Main Street, for a Retail (on-off sale) Wine and Cider license renewal
Working Session Consent Items
8. WS111020-01: Authorize the Mayor and Finance Director to sign the City of Rapid City and Black Hills Council of Local Governments Performance Contract for FY2021
9. WS111020-02: Approve Final Substantial Amendment to the FY20 Community Development Block Grant Annual Action Plan
10. WS111020-03: Approve Preliminary Substantial Amendment to FY18 and FY19 Activity for Abbott House
11. WS111020-04: Resolution No. 2020-086 – Resolution Levying Assessment for Abatement of Nuisances
12. Acknowledge the Following Volunteers for Worker’s Compensation Purposes: Linda Grenz (RSVP+), Kathleen (Kay) Ingalls (RSVP+), Maryann Stroschein (RSVP+), Rena Boersma (RSVP+), Ria Harper (Solid Waste)
13. WS111020-16: Authorize Mayor and Finance Director to Sign Agreement with Convergent Technologies in the amount of $71,696.96 for security enhancements at City Hall.
14. WS111020-17: Authorize Mayor & Finance Officer to Sign Amended Renewal Ready Subscriber Agreement with Black Hills Power, Inc., dba Black Hills Energy
15. WS111020-05: Approve change order 1 to Heavy Constructors, Inc. for West Omaha Street Utilities, Project #2099/CIP NO.50904 for an increase in the amount of $43,113.65
16. WS111020-06: Approve Change Order #1 for Fitzgerald Stadium Renovations Project No. 19-2508 CIP #51231 with MAC Construction for an increase of $124,557.87.
17. WS111020-07: Authorize Mayor and Finance Director to Sign 2nd Bridge Improvement Grant (BIG) Agreement with South Dakota Department of Transportation for Cambell Street Box Culvert Outlet Repair. Project No. 15-2313 / CIP No. 51035.
18. WS111020-08: Authorize Staff to Seek Proposals for Engineering Services for Southeast Area Trunk Sewer Reconstruction – Elm Ave to Prairie Ave Project No. 20-2571 / CIP No. 50829.
19. WS111020-09: Authorize Staff to Advertise Bids for Abandon Omaha Trunk Sewer – 1st Street to Maple Avenue Project, Project No. 20-2610 / CIP No. 51307. Estimated Cost $80,000.
20. WS111020-10: Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Downtown Lighting Project. Project 20-2613/CIP 51228, for an estimated $2,000,500.
21. WS111020-11: Authorize Purchase of Trimble R12i Model 60 ROW from Frontier Precision, in the amount of $27,085.50 from State Contract
22. WS111020-12: Authorize Request to purchase Three GPS Survey Equipment Setups off the State Contract from Frontier precision in the amount of $26,075.25.
23. WS111020-13: Authorize Staff to submit transit grant application to FTA, and accept and administer if awarded, for 5307 Formula funds for operating assistance in the amount of $1,285,218.00
24. WS111020-14: A request from Dakota Castles, Inc. for a variance to waive the requirement to install sidewalk along Feather Ridge Court and Hwy 44, Rapid City, per City Ordinance 12.08.060.
25. WS111020-15: Authorize Mayor and Finance Director to sign and accept the additional Project Safe Neighborhood grant funding.
CIP Committee Consent Items (NONE)
Community Development Consent Items (NONE)
Bid Award Consent Items
26. CC111620-02.1 – Approve award of total bid for Miscellaneous Improvements Projects, Facility Type Projects Boiler Pre-purchase Project No. 20-2607 / CIP No. 51132.3 opened on November 10, 2020 to the lowest responsible bidder, G & R Controls, Inc. in the amount of $277,600.00.
27. CC111620-02.2 - Approve award of total bid for two (2) Paratransit Vehicles, opened November 10, 2020, to the lowest responsible bidder, Creative Bus Sales in the amount of $188,128.
28. CC111620-02.3 - Concur with the SDDOT Transportation Commission bid award at its regularly scheduled meeting on November 24, 2020, and authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to sign contract for LaCrosse Street Utility Replacement, Project No. 16-2318 / CIP No. 51108 opened on November 4, 2020 to the lowest responsible bidder, Complete Concrete Inc dba Complete Contracting Sol in the amount of $707,279.23.
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS – Items 29 - 37
pdf Public Comment attached for Item 34. (228 KB)
Open Public Comment – Items 29 – 37 (3-minute time limit per speaker)
Close Public Comment
29. PW102720-11: Approve Second Reading of Ordinance No. 6447 An Ordinance to Amend Section 8.08.070 of the Rapid City Municipal Code to Clarify Inclusion of Solid Waste Charges in the Utility Rate Relief Program.
Staff Recommendation: Approve
30. PW102720-12: Approve Second Reading of Ordinance No. 6442 An Ordinance to Revise and Clarify Certain General Provisions in Title 13 Public Utilities and Services by Amending Chapter 13.04 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Staff Recommendation: Approve
31. PW102720-13: Approve Second Reading of Ordinance No. 6443 An Ordinance to Revise and Clarify Certain Provisions Concerning the City’s Water Service System by Amending Chapter 13.08 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Staff Recommendation: Approve
32. PW102720-14: Approve Second Reading of Ordinance No. 6444 An Ordinance to Revise and Clarify Certain Provisions Concerning the Sewer Service System by Amending Chapter 13.16 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Staff Recommendation: Approve
33. No. 20RZ036 – Approve First Reading, Ordinance 6449, an Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, a request by Longbranch Civil Engineering, Inc. for James and Jami Carpenter for a Rezoning request from Neighborhood Commercial District to Medium Density Residential District for property generally described as being located southeast of the intersection of Country Road and Haines Avenue.
Staff Recommendation: Approve
34. LF093020-04 – Approve First Reading of Ordinance No. 6445 an Ordinance Authorizing the Keeping of Hens on Certain Residential Properties in the City by Amending Section 6.08.020 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Recommendation: This item was continued from the October 5, 2020 City Council Meeting.
(Non-Ordinance) Working Session Committee Items (NONE)
CIP Committee Items (NONE)
Community Development Items
35. No. 20PL077 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying & Consulting Engineers, Inc for Michael and Marnie Gould, Stuart Rice, Ross and Angela McKie for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots A through D of Skyline Ranch Subdivision No. 2, generally described as being located at 1850, 2300 and 2221 Skyline Ranch Road.
Recommendation: This item was continued from the November 2, 2020 City Council meeting per the applicant’s request. The applicant has requested that the item be continued to the December 7, 2020 City Council meeting.
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items (NONE)
Bid Awards (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Renewals for 2021
36. Approve the following 100 Alcohol License Renewals for (CL) Convention Center (on-sale) Liquor; (PL) Package (off-sale) Liquor; (RL) Retail (on-sale) Liquor, (RR) Retail (on-sale) Liquor – Restaurant, and (RW) Retail (on-off sale) Wine and Cider.
License #; Owner/Master Name; DBA Address
1 CL-15400 RETSEL INC GRAND GATEWAY HOTEL/ CHEERS 1721 N LACROSSE ST
2 PL-19003 BW GAS & CONVENIENCE RETAIL, LLC YESWAY # 1190 3887 E HIGHWAY 44
3 PL-19233 WALMART INC WALMART SUPERCENTER #1604 1200 N LACROSSE ST
4 PL-19389 WALGREEN CO WALGREENS #09512-LACROSSE ST-RAPID 1125 N LACROSSE ST
5 PL-20030-INACTIVE SAFEWAY STORE 46 INC SAFEWAY-R CITY #3166 730 MOUNTAIN VIEW DR
6 PL-20040 WALMART INC WALMART #3872 100 STUMER RD
7 PL-20569 BW GAS & CONVENIENCE RETAIL, LLC YESWAY # 1188 2215 HAINES AVE
8 PL-4544 SMITH'S LIQUOR GALLERY INC SMITH'S LIQUOR GALLERY 2218 JACKSON BLVD SUITE 1
9 PL-4574 MINI MART INC LOAF 'N JUG #447 1601 NO. HAINES
10 PL-4576 SAMS WEST INC SAM'S CLUB #6565 925 EGLIN ST
11 PL-4600 MINI MART INC LOAF 'N JUG #446 2700 HIGHWAY 44 EAST - RC
12 PL-4607 MINI MART INC LOAF 'N JUG #443 3106 W MAIN
13 PL-4610 BW GAS & CONVENIENCE RETAIL, LLC YESWAY # 1189 3275 CAMBELL ST
14 PL-4646 THRIFTY SMOKE SHOP INC - KURT SCHIMMER THRIFTY SMOKE SHOP 718 E ST PATRICK ST
15 PL-4656 THRIFTY SMOKE SHOP INC - KURT SCHIMMER THRIFTY SMOKE SHOP III 1101 W OMAHA #3
16 PL-4704 NASH-FINCH COMPANY FAMILY FARE #265 751 MOUNTAIN VIEW RD
17 PL-4763-INACTIVE DTJ LLC DTJ LLC 3435 WEST MAIN STREET
18 PL-4764 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY COMMON CENTS #125 1821 N ELK VALE ROAD
19 PL-4765 NASH-FINCH COMPANY FAMILY FARE #253 1516 E SAINT PATRICK ST
20 PL-4771 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY NORTH STREET SMOKE SHOP 634 E NORTH ST
21 PL-4772 RETSEL INC GRAND GATEWAY HOTEL/ CHEERS 1721 N LACROSSE ST
22 PL-4773 MINI MART INC LOAF 'N JUG #444 1627 RUSHMORE RD
23 PL-4776 LA CROIX INVESTMENTS INC BUS'S BOTTLE SHOP 615 E NORTH ST
24 PL-4781-INACTIVE NASH-FINCH COMPANY FAMILY FARE #265 751 MOUNTAIN VIEW RD
25 PL-4782-INACTIVE NASH-FINCH COMPANY FAMILY FARE #253 1516 E SAINT PATRICK ST
26 PL-4787 SAFEWAY STORES 46 INC SAFEWAY STORE #1554 730 MT VIEW ROAD
27 PL-4830 BLACK HAWK OIL, INC. MR LIQUOR 3609 STURGIS RD
28 PL-5004-INACTIVE NASH-FINCH COMPANY FAMILY FARE #253 1516 E SAINT PATRICK ST
29 PL-5025 SAFEWAY STORES 46 INC SAFEWAY STORE #581 2120 MT RUSHMORE RD
30 PL-5073 FAT BOYS INC FIREHOUSE BREWING CO 610 MAIN ST
31 PL-5089 BW GAS & CONVENIENCE RETAIL, LLC BW GAS & CONVENIENCE RETAIL, LLC, YESWAY #1186 3343 HAINES AVE
32 RL-15424 RUSHMORE PLAZA CIVIC CENTER BOARD RUSHMORE PLAZA CIVIC CENTER 444 MT RUSHMORE RD N
33 RL-5325 SLAINTE LLC MURPHYS IRISH PUB 510 9TH ST
34 RL-5327 WESTERN DAKOTA GAMING INC VALLEY SPORTS BAR 1865 S VALLEY DRIVE
35 RL-5720-INACTIVE WOBBLY BOBBY BRITISH PUB LLC WOBBLY BOBBY BRITISH PUB LLC 510 MAIN ST
36 RL-5734 SODACO INC COMFORT SUITES HOTEL & CONVENTION CENTER 1333 N ELK VALE RD
37 RL-5856 POKER JOES INC POKER JOE'S 211 N CAMBELL ST
38 RL-5859 THE RETIRED ENLISTED ASSOC INC CHAPTER #29 1981 E CENTRE ST
39 RL-5862 WR RAPID CITY VENTURES LP MINERVA'S BAR & RESTAURANT 2111 N LACROSSE ST
40 RL-5867 SICKIES ND INC SICKIES GARAGE 3313 E MALL DR
41 RL-5868 GMB RUSHMORE LLC MACKENZIE RIVER PIZZA GRILL PUB 1205 EGLIN ST
42 RL-5871 RAPID HOSPITALITY LLC HILTON GARDEN INN RAPID CITY 815 E MALL DR
43 RL-5882 SHIBA INVESTMENTS INC THE RUSHMORE HOTEL 445 MT RUSHMORE RD
44 RL-5884 PRESS START PRESS START 504 MOUNT RUSHMORE RD
45 RL-5888 RAPID CITY ELKS GOLF & EVENT CENTER RAPID CITY ELKS GOLF & EVENT CENTER 3333 JOLLY LN
46 RL-5889 CITY OF RAPID CITY AIRPORT RESTAURANT & LOUNGE 4550 TERMINAL RD #206
47 RL-5894 VFW RUSHMORE POST 1273 420 MAIN ST
48 RL-5920 GMRI INC THE OLIVE GARDEN #1664 160 DISK DR
49 RL-6122 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY INFERNO FOOD BY FIRE - HWY 44 3503 E HWY 44
50 RL-6145 WOBBLY BOBBY BRITISH PUB LLC WOBBLY BOBBY BRITISH PUB LLC 510 MAIN ST
51 RL-6151 FRATERNAL ORDER OF EAGLES RAPID CITY AERIE NO 3555 1410 CENTRE ST
52 RL-6208 APPLE RAP, LLC APPLEBEE'S NEIGHBORHOOD GRILL & BAR 2160 HAINES AVE
53 RL-6259 FAT BOY'S INC FIREHOUSE BREWING CO 610 MAIN ST
54 RL-6260 LA CROIX INVESTMENTS INC TIME OUT LOUNGE 615 E NORTH ST
55 RL-6261 SODAK MEX I INC ON THE BORDER 1331 E NORTH ST
56 RL-6326 PV RAPID LLC PUERTO VALLARTA MEXICAN RESTAURANT 2205 N LACROSSE ST
57 RR-19690 RARE HOSPITALITY INTERNATIONAL INC LONGHORN STEAKHOUSE- RAPID CITY #5406 1510 EGLIN ST
58 RR-19799 OC RAPID CITY LLC OLD CHICAGO RESTAURANT 1718 EGLIN ST
59 RW-19170 WALGREEN CO WALGREENS #10656-MT RUSHMORE RD 1902 MOUNT RUSHMORE RD
60 RW-19172 WALGREEN CO WALGREENS 05643-MTN VIEW-RAPID CITY 540 MOUNTAIN VIEW RD
61 RW-19399 INDEPENDENT ALE HOUSE LLC INDEPENDENT ALE HOUSE 625 SAINT JOSEPH ST
62 RW-19949 RAPID CITY/BH LODGING LLC CAMBRIA SUITES 3333 OUTFITTERS RD
63 RW-20215 EVEREST CUISINE LLC EVEREST CUISINE 2328 W. MAIN ST
64 RW-20256 LORI EGGERSGLUESS MYSTIQUE EDGE DAY SPA & SALON 318 MOUNT RUSHMORE RD STE E
65 RW-21037 JORGE MATA LLC EL SOMBRERO 1012 E NORTH ST STE A
66 RW-21467 BLACK HILLS WORKS FOUNDATION INC SUZIE CAPPA ART CENTER 722 SAINT JOSEPH ST
67 RW-21589 CONTINENTAL LEISURE INC CAROUSEL CASINO 2050 W MAIN ST # 2A
68 RW-22859 DADAH KIDS CORP PAULYS-SAINT PATRICK ST 1624 E ST PATRICK ST STE 101
69 RW-22933 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY ORCHARD MEADOWS COMMON CENTS 3501 E HWY 44
70 RW-23107 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY LACROSSE COMMON CENTS 1909 LA CROSSE ST
71 RW-23109 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY OMAHA ST COMMON CENTS 1129 W OMAHA ST
72 RW-23110 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY COMMON CENTS #107 4128 JACKSON BLVD
73 RW-23752 K & P LLC HAY CAMP BREWING COMPANY 601 KANSAS CITY ST STE 1
74 RW-24299 MAVERIK INC MAVERIK INC #571 525 E NORTH ST
75 RW-24532 MAVERIK INC MAVERIK INC #552 1624 HAINES AVENUE
76 RW-25013 RAPID CITY EXTENDED STAY, INC. STAYBRIDGE SUITES 1314 LUNA AVE
77 RW-25063 ANA LINE ENTERPRISES LLC SABOR A MEXICO 208 E NORTH ST
78 RW-26207 BW GAS & CONVENIENCE RETAIL, LLC YESWAY # 1187 4030 CHEYENNE BLVD
79 RW-26360 FAMILY DOLLAR STORES OF SD LLC FAMILY DOLLAR STORES OF SD #7251 907 E NORTH ST
80 RW-26362 FAMILY DOLLAR STORES OF SD LLC FAMILY DOLLAR STORES OF SD #7118 1025 E SAINT PATRICK ST
81 RW-26506 AXE IT OUT LLC AXE IT OUT 811 DISK DR STE 6
82 RW-26592 FAMILY DOLLAR STORES OF SD LLC FAMILY DOLLAR STORES OF SOUTH DAKOTA LLC #28320 1445 HAINES AVE
83 RW-26631 MOYLE PETROLEUM COMPANY SHERIDAN LAKE COMMON CENTS 2808 SHERIDAN LAKE RD
84 RW-26692 GOLDEN TICKET CINEMAS INC GOLDEN TICKET CINEMAS 350 EAST DISK DRIVE
85 RW-26792 5 TANKS CORP POUR 54 TAPHOUSE 615 MAIN ST
86 RW-26875 ADELAIDE INC JUNIPER 405 CANAL STREET SUITE 1300
87 RW-26899 MAIN STREET MARKET INC MAIN STREET MARKET INC 333 OMAHA ST SUITE #2
88 RW-26971 L & B WINE LLC D'VINE WINE BAR 517 7TH ST
89 RW-27151 FLEET FARM GROUP LLC FLEET FARM 1001 EAST MALL DR
90 RW-27153 FLEET FARM GROUP LLC FLEET FARM FUEL 1115 EAST MALL DR
91 RW-27207 BELLAVITA LLC SABATINOS ITALIAN RISTORANTE 617 MAIN ST
92 RW-6420 THAI THAI LLC THAI THAI RESTAURANT 221 E NORTH ST
93 RW-6458 S & Y INC GOLDEN PHOENIX RESTAURANT 2421 W MAIN ST
94 RW-6572 PIESANO'S PACCHIA INC PIESANO'S PACCHIA 3618 CANYON LAKE DR #121
95 RW-6591 CHRISBRO LLC HAMPTON INN 1720 RAPP ST
96 RW-6596 MUSEUM ALLIANCE OF RAPID CITY INC THE JOURNEY MUSEUM 222 NEW YORK ST
97 RW-6597 DIAMOND HOSPITALITY LLC HOWARD JOHNSON INN & SUITES 950 NORTH ST
98 RW-6726 WNRRC LLC BUFFALO WINGS AND RINGS 5622 SHERIDAN LAKE ROAD #101
99 RW-7503 BLACK HILLS COFFEE COMPANY STONEWALLS ESPRESSO CAFE & PIZZA 5955 S HIGHWAY 16 STE G
100 RW-7591 SOMEONES IN THE KITCHEN INC SOMEONES IN THE KITCHEN 2210 HAINES AVE
37. LF102820-09 – Approve Resolution No. 2020-084 A Resolution to Resolve Three Outstanding Deeds Related to the Rapid City Indian Boarding School Lands.
Recommendation: This item was continued from the November 2, 2020 City Council Meeting.
Council Items & Liaison Reports (NONE)
Staff Items (NONE)
Planning Commission Appeals
Sign Code Appeals
Other Appeals Heard by the Council
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – (NONE)
Open Public Hearing (comment) - None
Close Public Hearing (comment) - None
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – None
Community Development Items (NONE)
Alcohol Licenses (NONE)
Assessment Rolls (NONE)
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings (NONE)
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – None
38. No. CC111620-01 – Bill List for November 16, 2020