AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Monday, July 17, 2017
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Sustainability Award – Wild Idea Buffalo, Jill and Dan O’Brien
RAPID CITY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT UPDATE
2. No. CC071717-04.1 – Update on Workforce Development, Innovation District, Economic Gardening and EDP Visibility and Local Marketing – Ben Snow
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Items 3 - 45
Open Public Comment – Items 3 - 37
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS – Items 3 - 37
Remove Items from the “Consent Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (August 7, 2017)
5. Maverik, Inc. DBA Maverik, Inc. #552, 1624 Haines Avenue for a Package (off sale) Malt Beverage license and Retail (on-off sale) Wine license
6. Storybook Island for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage and On-Sale Wine license for an event scheduled for September 8, 2017 at Storybook Island, 1301 Sheridan Lake Road
7. Rapid City Chamber of Commerce for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage and On-Sale Wine license for an event scheduled for November 14, 2017 at Servall Uniform and Linen Supply, 410 4th Street
Public Works Committee Consent Items
8. No. PW071117-01 – Approve Change Order #1F to J.V. Bailey, Inc. for Creek Drive Bridge Repairs, Project No. 16-2366 / CIP No. 51154 for an increase of $1,205.74.
9. No. PW071117-02 – Approve Change Order #1F to Rapid Construction, LLC. for Cobalt Drive Sanitary Sewer Bypass, Project No. 14-2127 / CIP No. 51154 for a decrease of $9,739.56.
10. No. PW071117-03 – Approve Change Order #1 to Lind-Exco, Inc. for West Omaha Drainage and Utility Improvements, Project No. 15-2316 / CIP No. 50904.1 for an increase of $27,724.41.
11. No. PW071117-04 – Approve Change Order #1F to Lind-Exco, Inc. for Maple Green Apartment Demolition, Project No.16-2345 / CIP No. 50559 for a decrease of $8,971.56.
12. No. PW071117-05 – Approve Change Order #2F Highmark, Inc. for Southside Drive Sanitary Sewer Extension, Project No. 14-2095 / CIP No. 50328 for a decrease of $190,487.86.
13. No. PW071117-06 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Well No. 9 Electrical Improvements, Project No. 16-2365 / CIP No. 51145. Estimated Cost $136,800.00.
14. No. PW071117-07 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign a Construction Professional Services Agreement between City of Rapid City and Sperlich Consulting, Inc. for E. Idaho Street, E. Nevada Street, Ivy Avenue Street and Utility Reconstruction and Meade/Hawthorne Drainage Element 221 Improvements; Project No. 15-2253 / CIP No. 50421.3-1B in the amount of $278,239.00.
15. No. PW071117-08 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign a Professional Services Agreement Between City of Rapid City and FMG Engineering for Windslow Drive Drainage And Nebraska Street Sanitary Improvements, Project No. 16-2337 / CIP No. 50975 in the amount of $7,000.00.
16. No. PW071117-10 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign an Agreement between the City of Rapid City and DOECK, LLC for Oversize Water Main Cost Reimbursement, not to exceed $26,150.00.
17. No. PW071117-11 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign an Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Rapid Valley Water Company, Inc. for Irrigation Ditch Easement and Right-of-way Agreement.
18. No. PW071117-12 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Resolution 2017-058 – A Resolution Repealing Resolution #2010-165 Construction Fee Resolution for Homestead Subdivision, Phase I 16” Water Main Oversizing Project No. Dev08-901 and Repealing Resolution #2011-161 A Resolution to Correct Resolution 2010-165 and Set a New Construction Fee for Homestead Subdivision, Phase I 16” Water Main Oversizing Project No. DEV08-901.
19. No. PW071117-13 – Approve Acceptance of Infrastructure for Arrowhead View Apartments Water Main - DEV15-1249.
20. No. PW071117-14 – Authorize Payment in the amount of $8,250.00 to the National Flood Insurance Program for South Truck Route Drainage Basin Design Plan – Element 203, Project No. 14-2207 / CIP No. 51031 for review and processing fee.
21. No. PW071117-15 – Authorize Mayor and City Finance Officer to Sign an Agreement with JCI to provide Video Management System for the MBTC at a cost of $34,547.00.
22. No. PW071117-09 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign an Agreement Between the City and Dr. Andrew J. Severson Concerning Tract Two and Tract Four of Pine View Terrace and Clarifying 1993 Agreement Concerning Assessments for Park Drive.
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
23. No. LF071217-03 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-059 a Resolution in Support of the Rapid City Good Samaritan Low-Income Housing Project
24. Acknowledge the Following Volunteers for Worker’s Compensation Purposes: Matthew Dart, Kristi Smith
25. No. LF071217-01 – Acknowledge Annual Reports to Council per Rapid City Municipal Code 2.40.080
26. No. LF071217-02 – Acknowledge Report on Retail (on-off sale) Malt Beverage Licenses Eligible for Video Lottery
27. No. LF071217-04 – Acknowledge May 2017 Sales Tax Report
28. No. LF071217-10 – Authorize Community Development to Accept and Administer a 2017 Continuum of Care (CoC) Shelter Plus Care (S+C) Grant in Partnership with Pennington County Health & Human Services, and Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Documents if Awarded
29. No. LF071217-05 – Approve 2017 Contract with Humane Society of the Black Hills, Inc.
30. No. LF071217-11 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-060 a Resolution to Add the Holiday Inn Express – Rushmore South to Business Improvement District No. 1 (Hotel BID)
31. pdf No. LF071217-06 (18 KB) – Acknowledge Status Update on Vision Funds – Funds and Projects.
32. pdf No. LF071217-07 (208 KB) – Acknowledge Review of Interdepartmental Charges and PILTs Past 10 Years.
33. pdf No. LF071217-08 (95 KB) – Acknowledge Review of Revenues of General Fund Past 10 Years.
34. pdf No. LF071217-09 (270 KB) – Acknowledge Review of Revenues for Enterprise Funds Past 10 Years.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items (NONE)
Bid Award Consent Items
35. No. CC071717-02.1 – Approve award of total bid for Knollwood Low Level Water Main Abandonment, Project No. 16-2339 / CIP No. 51073 opened on July 11, 2017 to the lowest responsible bidder Highmark, Inc.in the amount of $124,727.30.
36. No. CC071717-02.2 – Approve award of total bid for Terricita Drive Area – Pavement Rehabilitation Project, Project No. 17-2362 / CIP No. 50844 opened on July 11, 2017 to the lowest responsible bidder Western Construction, Inc.in the amount of $275,975.40.
37. No. CC071717-02.3 – Approve award of total bid for WRF Process Reliability Improvements, Project No. 16-2342 / CIP No. 51141 opened on July 11, 2017 to the lowest responsible bidder AB Contracting, LLC, in the amount of $913,256.00.
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS – Items 38 - 45
Open Public Comment – Items 38 - 45
Close Public Comment
38. No. LF062817-05 – First Reading, Ordinance No. 6186, An Ordinance to Amend Provisions Concerning Appeals to the Building Board of Appeals by Amending Sections 15.04.120 and 15.04.130 of the Rapid City Municipal Code. (This item was continued from the July 3, 2017 City Council meeting per staff’s request.)
39. No. LF062817-12 – Second Reading, Ordinance No. 6188, An Ordinance to Update The Requirements for Purchases by Amending Section 3.04.030 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
40. No. 17RZ022 - First Reading, Ordinance 6187, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, a request by KTM Design Solutions, Inc for Mollers Limited Partnership for a Rezoning from General Commercial District to Office Commercial District for property generally described as being located northwest of the intersection of E. Omaha Street and Lacrosse Street.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
41. No. 17PL061 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying and Consulting Engineers, Inc for Spell Revocable Trust for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots 4A And 4B of Block 4 of Rushmore Regional Industrial Park, located at 3600 Jet Drive.
Recommendation: Approve with stipulations
42. No. 17PL065 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying and Consulting Engineers, Inc for Andrew J. Severson for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for Lots 1, 2 and 3 of Pine View Terrace, generally described as being located on Park Drive.
Recommendation: Approve with stipulations
Legal & Finance Committee Items (NONE)
Public Works Committee Items
43. No. PW062717-09 – Appeal of Denied Exception Request from Sperlich Consulting on Behalf of Market Square, LLC to Waive Additional Pavement, Curb, Gutter, Sidewalk, Handicap Ramps, Street Light Conduits and Water Main in Creek Drive (City Files 17EX117). (This item was continued from the July 3, 2017 City Council meeting)
Recommendation: Send to Council without Recommendation (Vote 3-1, with Nordstrom opposed and Salamun abstaining)
CIP Committee Items (NONE)
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications (NONE)
Mayor’s Items (NONE)
Council Items & Liaison Reports (NONE)
44. No. CC071717-04.2 - Accept the proposal submitted by Coca Cola Bottling Company High Country for Hot and Cold Beverage Services at Rapid City Recreation Facilities from October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2020, in the annual amount of $19,919.
45. No. CC070317-04.2 – Appeal of Denied Security License – Eric Yellow Boy (Continued from the July 3, 2017 City Council meeting, per the applicant’s request)
Recommendation: Continue to the August 7, 2017 City Council meeting per applicant’s request
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Items 46 - 47
Open Public Hearing - Items 46 - 47 [Public Hearing Remains Open]
Close Public Hearing - Items 46 - 47
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Item 46 - 47
Remove Items from the “Consent Public Hearing Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items (NONE)
46. Thrifty Smoke Shop, Inc. DBA Thrifty Smoke Shop, 608 E North Street for a Package (off sale) Malt Beverage & SD Farm Wine License
47. Sol Yoga Collective (Karen Buxcel) for a SPECIAL EVENT On-Sale Malt Beverage and Wine license for an event scheduled for July 25, 2017 at Sol Yoga Collective, 611 ½ Main Street
Assessment Rolls (NONE)
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings (NONE)
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – (NONE)
48. No. CC071717-01 – Bill List for July 17, 2017