AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Monday, July 3, 2017
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Recognition of Councilpersons Charity Doyle, Jerry Wright and Brad Estes
2. Employee Service Award – Brenda Holzer
3. Proclamation of Veteran Suicide Awareness Day (This item is being rescheduled)
CANVASSING OF THE VOTES
4. pdf No. CC070317-04.1 (136 KB) – Approve Emergency Resolution Number 2017-057, Canvassing Vote for the Run-off Election held June 27, 2017 for Ward 5
RECESS TO SWEAR IN NEWLY ELECTED COUNCIL MEMBERS
5. Oaths of Office administered to Mayor Allender and Ward Council Members Elect Becky Drury, Ritchie Nordstrom, Chad Lewis, John B Roberts and Laura Armstrong
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
6. Election of Council President
7. Election of Council Vice President
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 8 – 40
Open Public Comment – Items 8 – 23
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS – Items 8 – 23
Remove Items from the “Consent Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
8. Approve pdf Minutes for the June 19, 2017 (143 KB) Regular Council meeting.
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (July 17, 2017)
9. Thrifty Smoke Shop, Inc. DBA Thrifty Smoke Shop, 608 E North Street for a Package (off sale) Malt Beverage & SD Farm Wine License
10. Karen Buxcel for a SPECIAL EVENT On-Sale Malt Beverage and Wine license for an event scheduled for July 25, 2017 at Sol Yoga Collective, 611 ½ Main Street
Public Works Committee Consent Items (NONE)
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
11. LF062817-11 – Confirm the Appointment of Bob DeMersseman to the Opportunity Capture Fund Committee
12. Acknowledge the Following Volunteers for Worker’s Compensation Purposes: Michael Sexton, Chelaine Asscherick, Marie Romano, Larry Romano, Travis Bolt, Lucille Humphries
13. LF062817-01 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-053 a Resolution to Update Change Funds
14. LF062817-02 – Acknowledge April 2017 Sales Tax Report
15. LF062817-04 – Acknowledge May 2017 General Fund Cash Balance Report
16. LF062817-03 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-054 a Resolution to Create Positions of Utility Field Chief – Water and Utility Service Chief – Water
17. LF062817-06 – Approve Amended Resident Participation Plan.
18. LF062817-09 – Authorize Mayor to Sign FY2016 SF-424 and Certifications on Previously Approved Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report CAPER
19. LF062817-08 – Acknowledge Update from the Opportunity Capture Fund Committee
20. LF062817-07 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-056 a Resolution Declaring Lots 1-12, Block 19, Original Town of Rapid City Surplus and Appointing Freeholders to Appraise the Property.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items
21. 12TI003 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-052 a Resolution Dissolving Tax Increment District #73 for Property Generally Described as Being Located South of Saint Joseph Street, East of 6th Street and North of Quincy Street
Bid Award Consent Items
22. CC070317-02.1 – Approve award of total base bid plus alternate 1 for East Idaho Street, East Nevada Street, Ivy Avenue Street and Utility Reconstruction Project Meade/Hawthorne Drainage Element 221 Improvements, Project No. 15-2253 / CIP No. 50421.3-1B opened on June 27, 2017 to the lowest responsible bidder R.C.S. Construction, Inc., in the amount of $4,662,232.62.
23. CC070317-02.2 – Approve award of Total Bid for Elk Vale – Minnesota Signal Installation, Project No. 16-2352 / CIP No. 51047 opened on June 27, 2017 to the lowest responsible bidder, Muth Electric, Inc. in the amount of $291,834.00.
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS – Items 24 – 40
Open Public Comment – Items 24 – 40
Close Public Comment
24. LF062817-05 – First Reading, Ordinance No. 6186 An Ordinance to Amend Provisions Concerning Appeals to the Building Board of Appeals by Amending Sections 15.04.120 and 15.04.130 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
25. LF062817-12 – First Reading, Ordinance No. 6188 An Ordinance to Update Requirements for Purchases by Amending Section 3.04.030 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
26. No. 17PL053 - A request by Sperlich Consulting, Inc for Market Square, LLC for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots 1 thru 3 of Market Square Subdivision, generally described as being located southwest of the intersection of E. St. Charles Street and Creek Drive.
Recommendation: Approve with stipulations
27. No. 17PL054 - A request by Mandi Schmierer for Stuart Martin for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots 11 thru 19 of Block 4: Lots 2 thru 19 of Block 5: Lots 2 thru 9 of Block 6: Lots 5 thru 9 of Block 7 of Prairiefire Subdivision, generally described as being located south of Winton Street and west of Anderson Road.
Recommendation: Approve with stipulations
Legal & Finance Committee Items
28. LF061417-06 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Settlement Agreement Between the City of Rapid City and Epic Outdoor Advertising, Inc. (This item was continued from the June 19, 2017 Council Meeting)
Recommendation: Send to Council without Recommendation. Scott, Wright, Laurenti and Roberts voted yes, Modrick voted no.
29. LF062817-10 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Professional Services Agreement with Walker Parking Consultants for the Downtown Parking Study and Strategic Plan in an Amount not to Exceed $95,000.
Recommendation: Approve with Scott, Wright and Modrick voting “yes” and Laurenti and Roberts voting “no”.
Public Works Committee Items (Items 30-39 were sent to council without recommendation due to no quorum at the June 27, 2017 Public Works meeting)
30. PW062717-01 – Approve Change Order #2F to RCS Construction, Inc. for Oak Avenue Water Main Reconstruction, Project No. 16-2351 / CIP 51144 for an increase of $8,365.16.
31. PW062717-02 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for 5th Street Concrete Repair Project – Minnesota Street to Texas Street, Project No. 15-2292 / CIP No. 50445. Estimated Cost: $390,000.00.
32. PW062717-03 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Pavement Rehabilitation Project –Tomahawk Area, Project No. 17-2361 / CIP No. 50844. Estimated Cost: $400,000.00.
33. PW062717-04 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Resolution No. 2017-055 Construction Fee Resolution for Commerce Road Sanitary Sewer Extension - Per Benefit Fee, Project No. 15-2260.
34. PW062717-05 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign a Permanent Utility Easement Agreements with West River Electric Association, Inc.
35. PW062717-06 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Amendment No. 1 to the Agreement between the City of Rapid City and KTM Design Solution, Inc. for St. Cloud Street Reconstruction, Project 15-2279 / CIP No. 50796, in the amount of $4,145.00.
36. PW062717-07 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign an Amendment to the Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Veolia Environmental Services for the Household Hazardous Waste Collection for $1,834.48 for additional materials received. Total service for event was 46,025.80.
37. PW062717-08 – Authorize Staff to Purchase a Crane Truck for Water Reclamation Utility Maintenance Sanitary Sewer Group from the National Joint Powers Alliance. Total Cost: $163,325.19.
38. 17TP010 – Approve Rapid City Area Transportation Improvement Program - Draft Report.
39. PW062717-09 – Appeal of Denied Exception Request from Sperlich Consulting on Behalf of Market Square, LLC to Waive Additional Pavement, Curb, Gutter, Sidewalk, Handicap Ramps, Street Light Conduits and Water Main in Creek Drive (City Files 17EX117).
CIP Committee Items (NONE)
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications (NONE)
Mayor’s Items (NONE)
Council Items & Liaison Reports (NONE)
Staff Items (NONE)
40. CC070317-04.2 – Appeal of Denied Security License – Eric Yellow Boy
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Items 41 - 43
Open Public Hearing - Items 41-43
Close Public Hearing - Items 41-43
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Item 41 – 42
Remove Items from the “Consent Public Hearing Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items (NONE)
41. Maverik, Inc. DBA Maverik, Inc. #571, 525 E North Street for a Package (off sale) Malt Beverage license and Retail (on-off sale) Wine license
42. LF062817-13 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-037B a Resolution Levying Assessment for Downtown Business Improvement District 2017
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings (NONE)
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Item 43
43. No. 17RZ021 - Second Reading, Ordinance 6185, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, a request by Chris Olney of ARC International for a Rezoning from General Agricultural District to Office Commercial District for property generally described as being located southeast corner of the intersection of Mt. Rushmore Road and Enchantment Road.
Recommendation: Approve in conjunction with Planned Development Designation – 17PD033
44. No. CC070317-01 – Bill List for July 3, 2017
EXECUTIVE SESSION to discuss the qualifications, competence, performance character or fitness of a public officer or employee pursuant to SDCL 1-25-2(1).