AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Tuesday, February 21, 2017
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Veteran of the Month, Christian Messina
EXECUTIVE SESSION Pursuant to SDCL 1-25-2(1) for the purpose of discussing the qualifications of a prospective public officer or employee.
2. No. CC022117-04 - Authorize the Mayor to make offer of employment to prospective City Budget Analyst at an amount higher than Step 7.
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 3 – 54
Open Public Comment – Items 3 - 48
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS – Items 3 - 48
Remove Items from the “Consent Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
3. Approve pdf Minutes (168 KB) for the February 6, 2017 Regular Council meeting.
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (March 20, 2017)
4. No. 17VR001 - A request by Renner Associates, LLC for Presbyterian Retirement Village of Rapid City, Inc. for a Vacation of Right of Way for property generally described as being located at 225 Texas Street.
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (March 6, 2017)
5. Central Baseball Association for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage License for an Event scheduled for March 11, 2017 at ProMark, 4624 Creek Dr.
Public Works Committee Consent Items
6. No. PW021417-01 – Approve Change Order #1 to Reede Construction, Inc. for Silver Street Interchange Utility Reconstruction, Project No. 12-2053 / CIP No. 50940 for an increase of $8,311.02.
7. No. PW021417-02 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids Meade/Hawthorne DBDP – Element 48, Project No. 15-2306 / CIP No. 50758, in the amount of $350,000.00.
8. No. PW021417-03 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids One (1) Current model year 1 ton 4x4 Cab Chassis for Traffic Engineering.
9. No. PW021417-04 –Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement Between the City of Rapid City and the South Dakota Department of Transportation for Improvements to 6th Street At Grade Railroad Crossing.
10. No. PW021417-05 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement Between the City of Rapid City and the South Dakota Department of Transportation for Improvements to West Boulevard At Grade Railroad Crossing.
11. No. PW021417-06 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Covenant Agreement Between City of Rapid City and Michael Kopren and Cristina Kopren, Authorizing Landowners to Maintain Non-Conforming Sewer Service Line.
12. No. PW021417-07 –Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Construction Agreement with Black Hills Energy for relocation of existing electrical facilities for Meade/Hawthorne DBDP – Element 48, Project No. 15-2306 / CIP No. 50758, in the amount of $18,000.00.
13. No. PW021417-08 – Ratify Agreement Between City of Rapid City and HDR Engineering, Inc. for Professional Services for Elk Vale Road and Minnesota Street Traffic Signal Improvements, Project No. 16-2352.
14. No. PW021417-09 – Correction to funding of Construction Professional Services agreement between City of Rapid City and Ferber Engineering Company, Inc. for West Omaha Drainage and Utility Improvements – Mt. View Road to 11th Street, Project No. 15-2316 / CIP 50904.1. Total of agreement $359,105.00.
15. No. PW021417-10 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Four (4) Dial-A-Ride vehicles. Estimated cost $380,000.00.
16. No. PW021417-11 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for a Vacuum Street Sweeper.
17. No. PW021417-12 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for a Single Axle Truck with Sander Body and 12’ Plow.
18. No. PW021417-13 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for a Pothole Patch Truck.
19. No. PW021417-14 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for a Single Axle Dump Truck with Slide-in Sander and V-Plow.
20. No. PW021417-15 – Authorize Staff to Purchase a 2017 906M Wheel Loader from Butler Machinery with NJPA Pricing in the Amount of $57,611.00.
21. No. PW021417-16 – Approved proposed route amendment to Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) project and authorize staff to amend Agreement with SD DOT.
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
22. No. LF021517-02 – Authorize Mayor to Increase the Starting Salary Range for the Public Works Director and the Community Planning Director Position Vacancies
23. No. LF021517-06 – Authorize Staff to Apply for and Accept if Awarded the 2017 Department of Justice Body-Worn Camera Implementation Grant.
24. No. LF021517-09 – Authorize Staff to Apply for and Accept if Awarded the FEMA Pre-Disaster Hazard Mitigation Grant
25. No. LF021517-11 – Approve Request to Purchase Fire Apparatus through National Joint Powers Alliance in the amount of $465,634.00
26. Acknowledge the Following Volunteers for Worker’s Compensation Purposes: Ramona Beck, Monna Hatle
27. No. LF021517-05 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-012A a Resolution Fixing Time and Place for Hearing on Assessment Roll for Cleanup of Miscellaneous Property
28. No. LF021517-08 – Acknowledge December 2016 Sales Tax Report.
29. No. LF021517-10 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-010 a Resolution Declaring Miscellaneous Personal Property Surplus
30. No. LF021517-12 – Approve Request for Property Tax Abatement as Follows: Richard Lundeman, 2016, $272.14; City of Rapid City, 2016, $1,107.38; Dawn Mazzio, 2016, $887.00; Keystone Homes LLC, 2016, $902.40; William DeWall, 2016, $1,216.41; Geraldine Sterkel, 2016, $540.06; South Dakota Department of Transportation, 2016, $911.50; City of Rapid City, 2016, $176.06; Tim Shatraw, 2016, $571.58; Dennis Haar, 2016, $1.81 (Total for City of Rapid City: $6,586.34)
31. No. LF021517-13 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-014A a Resolution Fixing Time and Place for Hearing on Assessment Roll for Countryside Water System Conversion Project
32. No. LF021517-15 – Approve Request from Black Hills Habitat for Humanity for a Local Governing Body Support Letter for their South Dakota Housing HOME Funds Application.
33. No. LF021517-01 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-011 a Resolution Amending Certain Fees to be Charged in 2017 for Various Licenses, Permits and Applications.
34. No. LF011117-02 – Approve Special Event Permitting Process for Activities in the City of Rapid City Including those using Public Park Land and/or Open Space (This item was continued from the January 17, 2017, City Council Meeting)
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items
35. No. 17TP001 – Acknowledge the 2016 Traffic Volume Counts Report.
36. No. 16AN006 – Approve Resolution No. 2016-106 a Request by City of Rapid City to Consider an Application for a Resolution of Annexation for Property Generally Described as Being Located East of Elk Vale Road, North of Twilight Drive, West of Reservoir Road and South of Homestead Street with Option #1.
37. No. 17AN001 – Deny a request by Sylvia Conrad for Resolution No. 2017-008 - Resolution for De-Annexation for property generally described as being located in the southwest of the current terminus of Sedivy Lane.
38. No. 17AN002 – Approve a request by KTM Design Solutions Inc for BH Capital, LLC for Resolution No. 2017-009 - Petition of Annexation for property generally described as being located in the southeast quadrant of E. St. Patrick Street and South Valley Drive intersection.
CIP Committee Consent Items
39. pdf No. CIP021717-00 (84 KB) – Acknowledge Capital Improvement Programs Committee Monthly Update for December 2016
40. No. CIP021717-03 – Approve Capital Plans for Government Facilities – (Fire & Emergency Services, Parks & Recreation, CSAC)
41. pdf No. CIP021717-04 (175 KB) – Approve Capital Plan for Fire Vehicles
42. pdf No. CIP021717-05 (191 KB) – Approve Capital Plan for Parks & Recreation
43. pdf No. CIP021717-06 (192 KB) – Approve Capital Plan for Information Technology
44. No. CIP021717-01 – Approve Financial Reports (Contingency, DCA Charges, Matching Grants, Penn Co Loan)
45. pdf No. CIP021717-02 (302 KB) – Approve Capital Plan for Streets, Drainage, MIP Projects
46. pdf No. CIP021717-07 (85 KB) – Approve CIP carry forward from 2016
Bid Award Consent Items
47. No. CC022117-02.1 - Approve award of Total Bid for Seger Drive Reconstruction 143rd Ave. to La Crosse St., Project No. 15-2268 / CIP No. 50277.1-4 opened on February 14, 2017 to the lowest responsible bidder, Highmark, Inc. in the amount of $3,737,224.30.
48. No. CC022117-02.2 - Approve award of Total Bid, contingent on South Dakota State DENR concurrence and approval, for East Rapid City Water Expansion Southside Drive Water Main Extension Project, Project No. 14-2193 / CIP No. 50964.A opened on February 14, 2017 to the lowest responsible bidder, Lind-Exco, Inc. in the amount of $496,003.67.
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS – Items 49- 54
Open Public Comment – Items 49 - 54
Close Public Comment
49. No. LF021517-04 – First Reading of Ordinance No. 6156 an Ordinance Repealing Chapter 1.08 of the Rapid City Municipal Code Relating to Wards and Precincts and Adopting a New Revised Chapter 1.08 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
50. No. LF011117-12 – Second Reading and Recommendation of Ordinance No. 6153 an Ordinance to Amend Provisions Concerning Permitting for Parades and Special Events by Amending Chapter 12.20 of the Rapid City Municipal Code
51. No. LF021517-03 – First Reading of Ordinance No. 6157 an Ordinance Adopting the Appearance of Fairness Doctrine for Quasi-Judicial Proceedings by Adding Section 2.04.130 to the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
52. No. 17PL004 - A request by KTM Design Solutions Inc for BH Capital, LLC for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots A and B of Johnson Ranch Subdivision, generally described as being located southeast in the quadrant of E. St. Patrick Street and South Valley Drive intersection.
Recommendation: Approve with stipulations
53. No. 17PL005 - A request by KTM Design Solutions for F and D Shultz Limited Partnership for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots 1 and 2 of the Connector West Subdivision, generally described as being located in the northwest corner of Mount Rushmore Road and Catron Boulevard.
Recommendation: Approve with stipulations
Legal & Finance Committee Items (NONE)
Public Works Committee Items
54. No. PW021417-17 – Appeal of Denial of Request from KTM Design Solutions for an Exception to Waive the Requirements for Subdivision Improvements on South Valley Drive.
Recommendation: Send to City Council without recommendation. Motion carried 4-1.
CIP Committee Items (NONE)
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items (NONE)
Mayor’s Items (NONE)
Council Items & Liaison Reports (NONE)
Staff Items (NONE)
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Items 55 - 60
Open Public Hearing – Items 55 - 60
Close Public Hearing – Items 55 - 60
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Items 55 - 60
Remove Items from the “Consent Public Hearing Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items (NONE)
55. Rapid City Chamber of Commerce for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage and Wine License for an Event scheduled for March 14, 2017 at Liberty Dodge Ram, 1120 E Omaha Street
56. Main Street Square for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage and Wine License for Events scheduled for June 10, 2017 and August 13, 2017 at Main Street Square, 526 Main Street
57. Wal-East Development Inc. DBA Joker’s Casino South III, 1320 Mt. Rushmore Rd #B for a Retail (on-sale) Liquor license TRANSFER from Wal-East Development Inc. DBA Wal-East Development Inc., 2205 N LaCrosse Street
58. Rapid City Chamber of Commerce for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage and Wine License for an Event Scheduled for March 16, 2017 at First Interstate Bank, 711 N. Creek Drive
59. Black Hills Works / Flutter Productions for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage and Wine License for an Event Scheduled for July 8, 2017 at Founders Park, 1520 W Omaha
60. No. LF021517-07 – Approve Resolution No. 2017-006B a Resolution Levying Assessment for Cleanup of Miscellaneous Property
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – (NONE)
61. No. CC022117-01 – Bill List for February 21, 2017