On May 9th, the Rapid City Police Department conducted compliance checks of local alcohol establishments. A total of 17 establishments were checked and 16 were found to be in compliance.
One of the establishments, On the Border (located at 1331 East North Street), sold alcohol to underage police informants. The seller, 24-year-old Marcus Sanchez, an employee of On the Border, was issued a court appearance required citation.
Furnishing alcohol to a minor is a class 2 misdemeanor punishable by 30 days in jail, a $500 fine, or both.
The following establishments were found to be in compliance:
- Sumo 214 E St Joseph St
- Hot Spot Casino 420 E St Patrick St
- BJ's 701 E St Patrick St
- Robbinsdale Lanes 805 E St Patrick St
- American Legion 818 E St Patrick St
- Sooper Dooper 1 915 E St Patrick St
- Family Thrift Liquors 1516 E St Patrick St
- Rapid City Aaerie (Eagles) 1410 Centre St
- Valley Sports Bar 1865 S Valley Dr
- Inferno Food by Fire 3503 E Highway 44
- Sickie's Garage 3313 E Mall Dr
- Hay Camp Brewing Co. 601 Kansas City St
- Kathmandu 727 Main St
- Teddys Bar and Grill 826 Main St
- Big D Oil #24 3010 W Main St
- Ruby Tuesday 2709 Mt Rushmore Rd
The Rapid City Police Department is committed to excellence in public safety. Protecting the youth in the community is a priority and the Department will continue to conduct alcohol compliance checks in an effort to reduce underage consumption of alcohol.
Since January 1, 2017, six establishments have failed the alcohol compliance checks by selling to underage informants.