515 West Boulevard
Rapid City, SD 57701
The mission of the Rapid City Parks and Recreation Department is to make Rapid City a better place to live, work and play.
- Provide information and administrative support to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
- Provide administrative support for Parks and Recreation divisions
- Provide design, construction and administration services for capital projects
- Prepare Department Annual Budget and oversee budget expenditures throughout the year
- Coordinate activities and projects between all divisions of Parks and Recreation Department
- Maintains city park system throughout the community including irrigation systems
- Manages Mountain View Cemetery including information and maintenance
- Maintains city greenhouse which provides flora and fauna planted throughout the park system
- Maintains fleet of department vehicles and equipment
- Provides Adult and Youth recreation programs and activities throughout the year
- Provides management and oversight of Meadowbrook and Executive golf courses
- Provides management and programming at Roosevelt Park Ice Arena
- Maintains 4 outdoor pools and the Indoor Swim Center
- Provides management and aquatic programming to citizens of all ages
- Provides a variety of Red Cross classes including CPR, First Aid and Babysitting Classes
Effective November 1, 2010, NO REFUNDS will be allowed for Parks and Recreation Department programs unless the class was canceled by the City. This REFUND POLICY was enacted by the City Council and is applicable to ALL City departments. If you have any questions on the refund policy, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 394-5225.
The City of Rapid City has implemented a Special Event Permit process for groups who would like to use the City’s park system for large activities and events. This application will give our department valuable information about proposed events and how they will impact the park system and recreation facilities. Approved events will be added to the City calendar which will help avoid scheduling conflicts.
Requests to use the City's parks must include a completed Special Event Application, a Certificate of Insurance showing the City is an additional insured for the event, and a site plan showing how your event will use the requested park area. A copy or sample of each of these items is included below.
Completed forms can be taken or mailed to the Parks and Recreation Office at 515 West Boulevard, Rapid City, SD 57701. If you have any questions, please call 394-4175.