Are there any local book clubs?
RCPL supports book clubs by providing Books to Go. This service includes a book bag with 6 books of one title plus a guide to help your book group have an enjoyable reading experience.
Does RCPL offer computer classes?
RCPL does not currently offer computer classes.
Here is a list of local resources.
Best Buy – (605) 341-8220Career Learning Center – (605) 394-5120
Computer Village – (605) 343-6264
Canyon Lake Senior Center – (605) 721-8710
Does Rapid City Public Library accept donations?
We gladly accept donations of books and media materials. Please bring your items for donation to the Downtown Library at 610 Quincy Street. For large donations, please call (605) 394-6139 prior to donating.
To donate money, please visit the Rapid City Library Foundation page.
Monetary contributions can also be mailed to:
Rapid City Library Foundation
PO Box 1015
Rapid City, SD 57709
Does the library offer FAX services?
The library does not offer FAX services, but there are many businesses nearby which do. Check out this map for nearby locations offering FAX services.
Home delivery is available to those who:
Do not have reliable transportation
Have health issues that keep them from the library
Live in assisted living, nursing or retirement communities
Residents of Rapid City Area School District inside Pennington County are eligible for library cards, selection and delivery.
Materials that may be delivered include: books, books on CD, magazines and DVDs. These materials are checked out for 6 weeks and may be renewed one time. There are never overdue fines, however fees for lost or damaged materials will be assessed as necessary.
If you are eligible, there is no cost for this service.
RCPL Homebound Program
610 Quincy Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
Does RCPL offer microfilm?
The Rapid City Public Library owns microfilm for local newspapers dating from 1883 forward and includes the following: Rapid City Journal, Indian Country Today, Lakota Times, Gate City Guide Lakota Nation Journal and the Black Hills Weekly Journal. If you need other resources, please follow these steps.
- Fill out the Suggest a Purchase form or contact the Rapid City Public Library reference desk at (605)394-6139 extension 7501. You will need your current library card number.
- Microfilm coming from the South Dakota Historical Society must be paid for at Rapid City Public Library before a request is processed. Cost is $8.00 per reel and payment must be in the form of a check to: South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Orders for film from the South Dakota Historical Society require reel numbers. These may be found at the South Dakota Historical Society website. A reference staff member can also assist you with finding the reel numbers by calling (605)394-6139 extension 2218.
- Microfilm coming from out of state must be prepaid in the form of a check made out to the lending institution. The interlibrary loan staff will contact you and let you know the cost of the film as well as the name of the lending library. If you do not wish to pay the fee, the request can be canceled at that time. You may request that a staff member assist you with locating the fees at the time of a library visit in order to eliminate the need for a second trip to the library.
- All microfilm will be for in library use only.
- The Downtown Library's microfilm machine may be reserved by clicking here and selecting up to two hours of available time.
Does the library offer notary services?
Yes, the library provides notary services Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 5 p.m. Stop by the business office at the Downtown Library to have a document notarized.
Does the library offer proctoring services?
Where can I go for more help?