Rapid City Public Libraries

Rapid City Public Library

Library FAQ

  How do I

Get a library card
Manage my library account
Suggest new library material
Conduct research
Learn about library events
Find library policies

How do I get a library card?
To get a library card, bring in a photo ID and proof of current residential address or property ownership. Residents of Rapid City or Pennington County and those receiving assistance at a local agency that assists individuals who are homeless or living in transitional housing are eligible for resident library cards.

If you do not qualify for a resident library card, you may get a non-resident card for $7.50 per month or $90 per year.

View the Library Card Registration Policy for more information.

Back to the top


How do I manage my library account?
Access your library account online to view your current checkouts, manage your password, renew items, reserve material for pickup later, and opt in to track your reading history.

View the Loan Periods, Fines, and Fees Policy for information about check out periods and fine amounts for late items.

Back to the top


Can I suggest new library material?
If you are looking for an item and the library does not own it, use the Purchase Suggestion form to let us know. We will try to buy a copy or borrow it through Interlibrary Loan from another library.

You may request digital material directly through Overdrive by clicking the "Recommend" link below an item we don't already own. For Overdrive instructions, visit their help page.

Back to the top


Can you help me conduct research?
Rapid City Public Library offers a wide range of databases for research purposes. From the library's homepage, click on "Research" on the right side of the page. Follow the link to "Browse our Entire Collection of Online Resources" to see a listing of all the databases by subject.
For help with ancestry research, please contact the Rapid City Society for Genealogical Research.

If you live outside of Pennington County but know the date of the obituary, please contact your local library to do an interlibrary loan request. Another resource is the South Dakota State Historical Society. Your local library can contact them for specific microfilm reels for a fee.
More help is available by contacting library staff through email, online chat, text (605) 593-0380, or phone (605) 394-6139.

Back to the top


Where can I learn about library events?
View our online Events Calendar to learn about library events and sign up for programs that require registration. To receive information about library news and events, sign up for our monthly email newsletter.

Back to the top



Where can I find library policies?
Library policies are available online.

Back to the top



Login Form