Applicants age 18 and over must also fill out a Background Check Form. Please return the background check form to the library with your volunteer application.
• Build your resume
• Explore possible career options
• Meet new people
• Be an active member of the community
• Get that "warm fuzzy" feeling
Volunteer Positions Include:
Help keep our library shelves stocked with new and returned library materials. Shelvers should be able to stand, twist, bend, lift several books, and push a cart of books.
Homebound Program Selectors and Drivers
This program delivers library materials to Homebound patrons. Volunteers will select and/or deliver materials using a library vehicle. Computer knowledge is helpful. Drivers are needed on a back-up basis. A valid driver's license and proof of insurance is required for this position.
Drop Box Collection
There are currently off-site material drop boxes which are collected three times a week. A library vehicle is available for this task. A valid driver's license and proof of insurance is required for this position.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows RCPL patrons to obtain materials not owned by the Rapid City Public Library. Our ILL program also loans materials to other libraries. Volunteers will search databases, pull materials from our shelves and package the items for shipping. Computer knowledge is helpful.
Technical Services Assistant
Technical Services Assistants help with preparing new materials for use and withdrawing old library materials. An eye for detail is a must for this position.
Public Services Assistant
Public Services Assistants help maintain the library collections, perform research, and assist in the youth services area. Computer experience is helpful.
Varied projects and tasks come up. Please let us know about your special talents. We will try to match volunteers to a specific project or task.
Online Archiving Assistant (description)
Use a scanner to archive historical content.
Requirements / Information:
• Applicants may fill out and submit the application online or pick up printed applications at the Circulation and Reference desks within the libraries.
• Most volunteer positions are flexible and may be done anytime during library hours.
• We ask that you commit to 2-4 hours per week (minimum) and be willing to commit to a schedule so that our staff know when to expect your assistance.
• To volunteer you must be at least 12 years of age. If you are under 18 you will need written parental permission and a parent's signature. Projects for volunteers ages 12-13 are limited. Please inquire for more information.
• Applicants age 18 and over must fill out a Background Check Form. After this form is filled out, it must be printed, notarized and delivered to the library (610 Quincy St. Rapid City, SD 57701). Applicants may bring background checks in to the library's Business Office (605-394-4171) at the Downtown Library (610 Quincy St.) to have them notarized for free.
Please Call the Volunteer Coordinator at 394-6139 x.2230 with any questions or concerns that you may have!