|How Do I Request Microfilm?
The Rapid City Public Library owns microfilm for local newspapers dating from 1883 forward and includes the following: Rapid City Journal, Indian Country Today, Lakota Times, Gate City Guide Lakota Nation Journal and the Black Hills Weekly Journal. If you need other resources, please follow these steps.
- Fill out the Suggest a Purchase. or contact the Rapid City Public Library reference desk at 394-6139, ext. 7501.
You will need your current library card number.
- Microfilm coming from the South Dakota Historical Society must be paid for at Rapid City Public Library before a request is processed. Cost is $8.00 per reel and payment must be in the form of a check to: South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Orders for film from the South Dakota Historical Society require reel numbers. These may be found at the South Dakota Historical Society website. A reference staff member can also assist you with finding the reel numbers.
(605) 394-6139 ext. 2218
- Microfilm coming from out of state must be prepaid in the form of a check made out to the lending institution. The interlibrary loan staff will contact you and let you know the cost of the film as well as the name of the lending library. If you do not wish to pay the fee, the request can be canceled at that time.
- You may request that a staff member assist you with locating the fees at the time of a library visit in order to eliminate a second trip to the library.
- All microfilm will be for in library use only.