Meeting and Study Room Reservations
Have Questions? Check out our Meeting Room/Study Room FAQ (PDF)
Instructions for Reserving a Room
Single Date Request
- Select the desired date
- Select the desired room (one or more rooms may be selected at once - available times will offer a selection box)
- Choose a possible start time and a possible end time, times in-between will automatically be checked (for meeting rooms, be sure to include set up time and take down times in your scheduling)
- Click Continue
- Fill out the required information
- If equipment is required for your meeting, please check the items you would like reserved. (if the equipment is available, the box will be highlighted and can be selected - if the equipment is not available, you will not be able to select it)
- Choosing “Submit Request” or “Verify Request” is an acknowledgement that you have read Rapid City Public Library's Guidelines and Policy information and agree to adhere to it. This also generates your formal request for a meeting room.
- You will receive a confirmation email immediately.
- You will also receive a status change email when your request is either accepted or denied.
Recurring Dates Request
- Click on the Search/Recurring tab at the top of the calendar
- Enter all required information
- Selecting Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Additional will give the options of every week, every 3rd Tuesday, etc.
- Click Search
- A list of dates will appear and in the left column it will state if the date/time are available or not
- If all are available click Select and fill out the information as stated above
- If there are conflicts, you can change the date and/or times of that one particular meeting or you can remove the date.
- When all conflicts are resolved, you can click Select and fill out the information as stated above
No products, services, or memberships may be advertised, solicited, or sold. No personal use shall be permitted such as weddings, receptions, parties. However, at the discretion of the Library Director, the following will be permissible at library initiated programs:
- Fund raising to benefit the Library and sponsored by the Friends of the Library, the Rapid City Library Foundation or other library-related groups.
- The sale of books and other items as part of a library program.
The Rapid City Public Library is a public institution whose meeting and study room facilities are available as a service to the public on a first come, first serve basis. The intent of this policy is to make the Library’s limited meeting room space available on as equitable a basis as possible. In making meeting rooms and study rooms available, the Library Board has set the following criteria for priority of use in the event of conflicting events.
- First priority is given to Library sponsored or co-sponsored programs.
- Second priority is given to community cultural, educational, charitable or civic groups who operate under a Non-Profit status.
- Third priority is given to study groups, or small free classes (such as exercise, crafts, chess clubs, etc) who want a place to meet that is private and quiet.
- Fourth priority is given to For-Profit organizations, for a FEE, based upon availability of meeting rooms and in accordance with the Fee Policy of the Library as outlined below.
The Library reserves the right to limit the frequency of use of the meeting rooms by any one group, to best accommodate the many requests.
The fact that a group is permitted to meet in the Library does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies and beliefs. Groups using the meeting room should clearly indicate who is sponsoring the event in their advertisements and news releases.
The Library reserves the right to deny use of a meeting room if the room is needed for Library or civic purposes. Organizations will be given advance notice of the Library’s intent to deny use.
Guidelines for Use
The following guidelines will be adhered to at all events held within Library meeting rooms.
- The group using the room is responsible for all necessary set-up and clean up. Be sure to schedule this extra time when requesting room reservations.
- Chairs and tables are stored in the meeting room closet.
- The following equipment is available for use in the meeting rooms with advance notice: laptop, projector, telephone.
- Food and or drinks are allowed in the meeting rooms.
- Damages to the premises, equipment or furnishing as a result of group use will be charged to the group responsible.
- All Library rules and regulations must be followed.
- The noise level must be kept at acceptable Library level. This includes sound from TV and computer presentations, live presentations, and visiting.
- Meetings scheduled under the Meeting Room Policy are open to the public.
- Meeting rooms at the downtown library may be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., Monday thru Thursday and 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Friday thru Sunday; meetings scheduled after regular library hours require 72 hours advance notice and will be charged a fifteen dollar ($15) fee per meeting to be paid in advance. Allow sufficient set-up and clean up time when scheduling the room.
- Cancellations shall be provided at least 24 hours before the scheduled time of the event. Cancellations may be made online or by email or phone call, by a contact person listed on the Acknowledgment Agreement. If any equipment was reserved for the event, please state what was reserved in the cancellation notice.
Non-Profit and For-Profit groups may rent a meeting room that charge for the instructions of a course. The cost and refund rates are the same as listed below.
- Non-Profit groups that charge for items other than a course or selling a product (for example membership fees, free-will donations, supplies, etc) may use the room with no fee.
- For-Profit groups may rent meeting rooms for a fee.
- Cost of renting a meeting room is $15 per hour.
- After-hours scheulding is $15 per meeting.
- For-Profit groups may not sell products or services on the library premises.
- The fee is required before an event can be approved. Event requests will be held as “unapproved” until payment is received.
- Fees can be mailed to the Library in care of the Business Office or dropped off during Business Office hours. Checks should be made payable to “Rapid City Public Library”. Receipts will be provided upon request. Payments can be made by credit card either over the phone or on-site at the Downtown Library during regular hours of operation.
- Refunds for cancelled events will be made only if the Library is given at least 7 days notice of the cancellation.
Study Room Guidelines
The library’s study rooms may be scheduled up to two hours per day by any individual or group with the possibility of an additional two hour extension if no other patrons are waiting to use the study rooms. Study room group size is limited to four(4) individuals.
To ensure the best service for everyone, study room reservations will be canceled if not claimed within the first fifteen minutes of the time reserved. The following library equipment is NOT available for use in the study rooms: laptop, projector, telephone.
Cancelling Your Room Reservations
Cancellations must be made 24 hours before the scheduled time of the event. Cancellations may be made online via the link in your confirmation email, by email or by phone call (605-394-4171). Cancellation must be made by a contact person listed on the Acknowledgment Agreement. If any equipment was reserved for the event, please state what was reserved in the cancellation notice. Refunds for cancelled events will be made only if the Library is given at least 7 days notice of the cancellation.
Please print a copy of this page for your records.